Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide tomahawk steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide tomahawk steaks

I’m going on a trip to the lake this week and i wanted to reverse sear/sous vide a couple tomahawk steaks but i dont want to lug around my vacuum sealer equipment. I was thinking to oil up and salt and pepper the steaks then seal em up. Will sou vide and bbq them in a couple days. Will theis adversely affect the meat if it is salted and sealed up for a couple days? Or is there a better approach?

I doubt it would be a problem in a sealed vac bag.

Comment

Could do it that way, or could use Zip Loc bags. Could also just seal the steaks and add your salt, pepper and oil just before searing. Adding seasonings or oils prior to SV isn’t particularly effective.

Comment

Personally, I'd dry brine then rinse off all the surface salt (and dry thoroughly) before vac sealing. You could then SV them at home, shock 'em in ice water, then leave them in the bag refrigerated at home and in the cooler until ready to sear at the lake. Add oil, salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste when it's time to sear.

As HorseDoctor observed, seasonings and oils are not a good idea in the vac bag.
        Last edited by MBMorgan; July 29, 2018, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• BourBonQ
          BourBonQ commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 for MBMorgan method above... SV ahead of time.

• Mstallmann
          Mstallmann commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, gonna dry brine for 5 hours then sous vide and bring em up to finish off... wish me luck.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Mstallmann - you don't need luck ... the Force (and the brine) are with you ... enjoy!

Nope, I would seal them up and drop them in the water when you are ready to roll.

I like MBMorgan 's idea of cooking them SV, and then shocking them to bring up with you. You can go either way with that.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8529ECD4-71A0-4257-AA53-3FFA0E781C00.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	539927 Let the brining begin...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CE8C6F7F-B3CF-43B2-A1B8-9ECC1249BBC4.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	540770Click image for larger version

Name:	949883F0-46D3-4319-B6B1-D9C0A0017A33.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	540769 struggled with reheat, took a bit more on the webber than expected, but we got there and they were delicious. Thanks for the suggestions. I think next time I will reheat in the bath and then finish on the grill.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here