Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can I hold a brisket in a faux cambro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can I hold a brisket in a faux cambro?

I've got a 9 1/2 lb. choice packer on the Grand Slam pellet smoker and it's looking like it's going to be done way early, I just can't get the timing figured out for briskets. The last one I did I figured 90 mins./lb. at 225 which took 15 1/2 hours and even then it was slightly underdone according to the pull-test. For this one, which is about 2 lbs. bigger, I figured 2 hrs./lb. at 225. It's maybe just getting into the stall, so I dropped the pit temp to 200 hoping to slow the train down some. Should I just let it go without wrapping until I put in the faux cambro, or should I go ahead and wrap (butcher paper or foil?) after the stall? How long do you think I can hold it in the cooler, keeping it above 140?

For pellet smokers, what temp do you cook brisket at and how much time per pound of meat do you figure for your cooks?

Flat Rocker, Hey To Another Insomnic‼️ Regarding Your Brisket Smoke I Won't Claim To Be An Expert‼️
    In General I Have Found It Best To Bring The Meat To Your Desired Temp, Then Hold It Via Wrapping And Faux Cambro It To Hold The Temp‼️ You Never Said When You Plan ❗️To Serve Your Meal❓ Five To Six Hrs Tightly Wrapped In "The Cooler" (Faux Cambro) Should Not Result In Significant Loss Of Temp Or Moisture‼️ If You Have Access To An Oven Or Slow Cooker, You Could Slightly Reheat The Wrapped Brisket Before Serving❗️❓❗️
    Eat Well And Prosper❗️ From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Each piece will cook different unfortunately, if you don't wrap i think your ok so far, did not say what the temp is or when your eating. If you get to concerned you can wrap at a later time when the it reaches 180 to help keep the bark, holding 4 hours should not do any harm to it

Comment

• Flat Rocker
        Flat Rocker commented
        Editing a comment
        It's at 162 in the thickest part of the flat now. Dinner is at 6 PM EST, so about 11 hours from now. I was hoping a 4-5 hold wouldn't be too much, thanks for your response.

4-5 hours, probably more if you pre-warm the cooler. Click image for larger version

Name:	180A6CEB-6276-4A19-B221-BA3D413020AF.jpeg
Views:	5409
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	539175

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        You've still got some cooking to do. You should be fine! I've done 6 hours a couple times with no problems (and safe temps ). You can always pop it in a low oven if your temp gets worrisome while waiting for dinner. Better done early & hold than keep hungry guests waiting!

BBQ restaurants here in Texas routinely cook their briskets at night to be done early in the morning then hold to finish in steam holders at 150ish for service at lunch. Those hold times can be 5-6 hours.

I have quizzed some of these pitmasters and they seem to agree that this is actually beneficial to and an important part of the overall cooking process. Long holds in the safe temp zone is not only routinely necessary but is actually part of the overall net result.

Comment

I usually go 1-4hrs, depending on when it gets "done" and when chow time is supposed to be. Personally I find much more than 2 hrs it starts to get a little crumbly when I slice.

I once went 12hrs with the hold. 24 total hours on heat between cook & hold. I don't recommend that. It was still good but quite crumbly as you'd expect.

Comment

• Scout789
          Scout789 commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree with you Huskee! I have a friend who actually wants his briskets to be falling apart. Not my cup of tea. My friend ends up chopping a lot of his, but that's not something I'm all that high on.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Scout789 I wonder if he's ever cooked a chuck roast for pulled or chopped beef? Seems like a much easier (and sometimes cheaper) cut to do that with. Not my cup of tea either for a brisket

Good question. My dilemma is similar. I’m cookin a 12# brisket on my Pit Barrel today for a church luncheon tomorrow. I will faux cambro after smoking, then refrigerate. Crock pot to reheat, but either low temp or keep warm setting during the service. Shouldn’t have any issues.

Comment

Another thing to try is bumping your temp to around 260 you can then drop to close to an hour a pound which can make it easier on you

Comment

All of the above. I run my pellet pooper at 250 and almost never have a brisket go over 10 hrs, usually less (no wrapping), regardless of size. Sounds preposterous, for sure, and the only things I can attribute it to is the size of the cooker and maybe because I live in an arid climate at 4000'. However, I have had occasional pork butts run 12-14 hrs, go figure...

Comment

I really appreciate the responses and advice. I wrapped it in butcher paper about an hour ago and put it on a rack in an aluminum pan a la CandySueQ, just waiting now to finish it off and get in the cooler. As the ever wise HorseDoctor said, better to be done early and hold it than to delay dinner time. I'm guessing about a 2-4 hour hold in the cooler at this point so I'm feeling pretty good about it.
              The reason I've been cooking my briskets at 225 is to generate more smoke since pellets are more efficient at lower temps. That said, I did use my Blaz'N Smoker Pro today and it put out good clean smoke for over 6 hours so maybe a combination of using that and bumping the pit temp up next time will be the right choice. Once again The Pit has proven to be an invaluable resource with lots of experts to help me out.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket1.jpg
Views:	5275
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	539623Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket2.jpg
Views:	5271
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	539622Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket3.jpg
Views:	5290
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	539624 I'm going to call it a success ! I pulled it at 4 PM and let it rest in the cooler for about 2 1/2 hours before dinner. It had a good bark and passed the pull test. Everyone said they liked it very much and they must have, there weren't many leftovers. Here are a couple of pics to prove that it happened! Thanks for everyone's help with this cook.

Comment

Nice work !!! Seems like you’re the pro now

Comment

Great looking brisket! Good job!

Comment

Fantastic job

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here