Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet Smoker Virgin needs some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet Smoker Virgin needs some

I've done many briskets on my Cookshack and never injected or wrapped. Doing my first brisket on a Rec Tec 700 and all the gouges I get from the pellet smoking side say to inject and wrap. Is that really necessary? Also, the required temps on pellet smokers seem to be higher than in the Cookshack. Did a pork butt in the Rec Tec the temps and time I did in my Cookshack and could have gone another couple hours.

Ooh, I bet that headline gets some responses!!! That post was sent before it's time. Oops.

Comment

On the plus side, the hair and ears on that icon above my name are about right.

Comment

Ya can always edit yer Subject line, if ya pre-posted...
        I apologize fer havin zero, bupkes pellet smoker experience available, to offer ya, but there's literally tons of folks here, who will git ya steered in th Right Direction!

Comment

For the simplest pellet cook: trim & dry brine a day or two before the cook, apply salt-free rub and lay brisket on the highest shelf fat cap up, fire up smoker and smoke until the thickest part of the flat probed from the side is butter tender, put in a cambro for a couple hours, slice and serve.

Comment

• martoni
            martoni commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. That's just about the way I was gonna go. You and I seem to be the only ones who advocate the fat cap up method.

Inject yes. Wrap, no At least not until you cambro.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Just listen to Jerod Broussard , don't overthink it. It's how I do mine in the pellet pooper and they come out wonderfully.

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, and two-fiddy is my temp.

Welcome to The Pit. Do you have a Cookshack electric smoker or a pellet pooper? I have an electric, and if I remember correctly, they say no water pan is needed because when the door is sealed, it provides a very moist cooking environment with very little air movement.

Having said that, I would follow Jerod's lead.

Comment

I have cooked a few briskets on my Rec Tec 680 and I like my results better when I inject and also wrap after the stall but it’s not a necessity, I usually cook Costco prime briskets. When you say "Higher Temperatures" what do you mean?

Comment

• martoni
              martoni commented
              Editing a comment
              I have an electric Cookshack and I cook my butts at 225. When I used the same temp on the Rec TEc for the same time I thought the pork was not quite done.

• SMOG MAN
              SMOG MAN commented
              Editing a comment
              I have never used a cookshack electric, I usually cook at 225 to 250. Compared to some of my other cookers the Rec Tec sometimes takes longer, hopefully you will get to know your new toy.

I have a Rec Tec 680 and have cooked a full brisket a few times (Costco Primes). Both times I trimmed per Aaron Franklin's suggestions, injected, wrapped, then held for a while before cutting and serving.

One cook took ~15 hours at ~225° the entire time (10.2lbs after trim), On another, I had to cook at lower temp as I was gone for a while and was concerned it would overcook, and it took almost 18 hours (9.4lbs). Small sample size, but the one I cooked slower was more "pot roasty", but both had great flavor. I think I will do 235-250° the entire time for the next brisket to reduce the cook time and hopefully avoid the the pot roast texture.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing (and seeing) what you did and how it turned out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here