Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

11 pound Rib Eye Roast frozen solid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 pound Rib Eye Roast frozen solid

I've been tasked with cooking an 11 pound rib eye roast for my dad's birthday this Sunday. This roast was stored in the deep freezer for a spell. I've been taking it out and letting it rest on the counter for 30 minutes a few times a day, but I'm worried it's not going to get defrosted in time. Is there any way I can safely speed the defrost process?

Most of the recipe's I've seen are for a 5 or 6 pound roast, so I'm not sure what the best technique will be. I'm open for suggestions on how to season and cook it on my Weber kettle.

I use cold water for big cuts. Since it's easiest to read this article, here it is:

Don't take any risks with your main course. Instead, learn the three ways to thaw meat safely and why it's so important.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, cold water thaw! Season & cook same as 6# roast. Thickness is limiting factor not length or total weight. Or cut in half and have two 5 1/2# roasts. Four end slices that way if you have folk that like end slices. Enjoy!
      Last edited by HorseDoctor; July 25, 2018, 01:49 PM.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      ends..ends, yum..yum. Brilliant!

How is your Weber kettle set up? Meaning do you have a S'nS', can you 2-zone it, etc.? Low and slow is what you want to do with it, and I'm sure plenty others will catch up to this and give you good suggestions.

I have the Weber kettle. I might use both charcoal baskets for that big a cut if you don't have an S'nS' or similar, to get surround convection. I would use a big water pan to keep the temp down, and get up plenty early because 11 lbs. may sit in the stall for awhile.

Whoever told me from the PIT to put my wood chunks above the coals on the upper grate was dead on - I get better results this way. Cleaner smoke. I like hickory because I can taste hickory, but it may be strong for some. For mellower taste with plenty of smoky goodness I recommend apple.

One hack I use to good effect is cutting up aluminum oven drip trays to add a radiated heat shield to the burning coals. Hopefully you can see that in these pics.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven Drip Sheet.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	537893

Name:	Weber 2-zone.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	537894
    You can cut the drip tray higher, with a center slot to rise the cut tray above the upper grate another 2" if you're going to put chunks of wood on the upper grate above the coals. I'm a strong believer in blocking all radiated heat.

Comment

Looks like I'll be trying the cold water technique for the defrost. Thanks for the tip!

Cutting it in half sounds like a interesting idea. I'll see how inspiration strikes once it's defrosted

Comment

My 20lb briskets usually thaw in a fridge within 3-4 days so I'd think you're good in the fridge.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Good cuz I have a 20+ pounder SRF on the way, brotha!

I do indeed have the Slow 'n Sear. Glad to hear low and slow is a good option for this cook. I'll probably use some hickory or pecan this time around.

Should I wrap the roast during the cook?

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          The house is split on this one. I don't wrap unless taking it somewhere, and then I wrap late and leave it that way in faux cambrio. I think the debate is on the bark as to when and if.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't wrap. Start earlier instead, you're gonna love the bark (and taste) when running completely unwrapped.

It's Wednesday. You have time to pick up an Anova SV rig and do the prime rib before Sunday. Then smoke it.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Good thought, but would you want your first SV experience to be an 11# rib roast for a party? 🤔

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Given how foolproof it is, I'd be worrying as a newb, but it wouldn't be getting screwed up. Then again, I've done my share of bold and foolish things!

• weok
          weok commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been thinking of trying out SV, but I'm going to stick with the grill for this cook.

I was going to suggest sous vide also. That's what I would do.

Comment

Here is what my did for 2 14 pound roast

So before I went to bed I was thinking 4 hours. This morning decided 5 but do 6 just in case, well I was way off they cooked in 3.5 hours, so now they are

Comment

• weok
            weok commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks tasty!

Don’t wrap and don’t cambro. Don’t let the internal temp get above 130. There won’t be any stall. You want prime rib medium rare, at least most people do. I like to cook it at 200 degrees. The lower you cook it, the less over cooked meat there will be on the outside. My last 8 lb roast took about 4 hours. I cut off the bones and tied it tight.

Comment

I have good luck using the microwave to speed along defrost on a large cut. I microwave for a just minute or two then put it in the fridge for for 30 minutes to an hour. Repeat several times.

Comment

Thought I would share the final result of the 11 pound rib eye roast. I dry brined it for 48 hours and seasoned it with garlic and crushed black pepper. Kept the temps to right around 200 for the whole cook. Total cook time was about 4 hours. Everybody was thrilled with the way it turned out. Thanks for the great advice!

Name:	20180729_175221.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	540372Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_175538.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	540373Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_180603.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	540374Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_144735.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	540371

Comment

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks great. Obviously you did good!

• weok
                weok commented
                Editing a comment
                I pulled it at 126

• Red Man
                Red Man commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here