Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birthday tri tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birthday tri tip

So i picked up an american wagyu tri tip from one of the dartagnan flash sales. Cooked it last night a buddies house. We did low and slow on his gasser then dropped it in the cast iron we had sitting on the high side. Pulled it from the low at around 120. It was frigging amazing. Probably the best beef ive ever had. This was my first time eating or cooking tri tip and the flavor was just incredible.

So, i went to whole foods this morning and picked up another one, lol. Not wagyu this time but it looks nice. My parents and wifes mother are coming over so im gonna do this on the kettle and a whole chicken in the smoker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9484F0D9-DC6A-4C6D-B762-7EE4516BDE98.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	535929

I’m thinking about doing a tri tip today. Never bought one so not sure what the standard or "fair" price is. What’s the price range I should be in so I don’t overpay?

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Out here on the left coast, where TT's are abundant, we expect to pay $7 to $9 per lb for CAB.

Not sure what the standard is. I do know if you buy it feom whole foods you are probably overpaying, lol. The wagyu one i got on sale was $40 for almost 3lbs.

the one i bought this morning was 12.99 per pound.

Comment

When I can find them here in "flyover country" they are usually in the $7.00/lb ballpark. Seeingthem a little more ofteb lately. More folk than just me must be asking for them.

Comment

The Costco in Bellingham, WA has choice for $6.99/lb. They occasionally have prime at $9.99/lb but for some reason they cut these into steaks?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought a tri-tip was a steak - for some definition of "steak"!

Click image for larger version

Name:	4F38264E-F132-4BFD-B539-7F66A42BD5A2.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	536070

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Nicely done, happy birthday to you!

Last Prime TT I bought was $8.99/lb

Comment

I buy choice from my local food service company by the case which is 12 roasts or steaks whatever they are. Last case was just under $4 a lb. one of the benefits of buying by the case. Plus I get employee pricing. One of the benefits of having connections!

I do have a black grade American Wagyu tri tip from SRF in the freezer that I’m looking forward to diving into.

Comment

Nice work brother!!! Happy birthday!! That looks spectacular.

Comment

They only sell Choice at my Raph's in La Crescenta, CA. I usually keep 1-2 in the freezer, so I always keep an eye on the "manager's specials" section (meat coming close to the sale-by-date) in the meat dept. I probably find one Tri-tip a month at ~ $3/lb. pick it up every time. Besides picking up the Prime Ribeye and NY steaks. So cheap.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here