Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ground Beef PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Beef PSA

Click image for larger version

Name:	53D502FD-F631-4542-AA0A-876538C3C0B3.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	535730 Tonight's cook was as simple as it gets: fresh ground burgers on the Weber Spirit. I am posting this as a public service announcement to those who have not ground their own beef: Do it!

​​​​​​​

What was your mix? My favorite so far is using chuck roast, short ribs and adding pork fat as needed.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dadof3Illinois, just some well-marbled beef short ribs. Kosher salt, black pepper, cooked to 160 IT on gas grill, flipping multiple times. First garden tomato of the season to go with it.

• nickgutnick
      nickgutnick commented
      Editing a comment
      I like to use chukeye steaks and short rib. better than store bought!

I've got about 15 pounds in the freezer that was ground by a local slaughterhouse back home. Makes the stuff in the store stay in the store.

Comment

Dang, i feel so silly. Had burgers tonight from storebought ground beef and they were still juicy & awesome. I bet they weren't as good as yours though Reds Fan 5

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, trust me, you are well ahead of me in grilling/smoking great food! Store ground beef works just fine. We don’t grind our own often—gets $ and don’t always have time. Fun to do occasionally.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re right on the money Reds Fan 5 . The only thing I hate is cleaning the grinder.
      Aside from that, you can’t beat fresh home ground burgers.

Huskee that reminded me of a cook I did last year for a small group of guys. 4 of the 8 were under 22 & yes it was store bought, I do live in an apartment. I tried to make it special mixing grand sirloin with chuck & added some bacon grease out of a jar. They came out alright, juicy & good. But the most amazing comment I got was: "wow, these are hand made, I don’t know if I’ve ever had these before" & "yeah, hand made, this is good".
    My thoughts, what do people eat? We here on the AR are not mainstream.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      We occasionally buy pre-formed frozen turkey or beef burger patties from Aldi, they're not half bad. Not as good as hand-pattied, which aren't as good as home ground. But in a pinch they're pretty tasty and quite convenient. I suppose most younguns eat drive through and applebee's.

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Our butcher and one of our local grocery stores have some terrific pre formed beef and turkey burgers. And, they are easy to grill from frozen.

There are some nice surprises all over Aldi.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Reds Fan 5 Yup. I’ve gotten spares a couple of time & pleasantly surprised & great price. Everybody knows I’m cheap, especially Mr. Bones.

Can't beat hand ground burgers. Period. Funny cuz I just decided of take Sophia to the "Sizzler" today. They have pretty good burgers, sirloin I think. All you can eat soup n salad for an extra four bucks. I usually take the burger home and kill the salad bar and some of my fries.

is Sizzler just local to SoCal? They've been aroundd a while. Huskee I used to be able to buy those burgers in a pinch. The kids won't eat them now but they sure we're handy to pick up in the way home.

Hey reds fan that's a good looking patty, did you make a double? Love fresh tamaters!
    Last edited by HouseHomey; July 22, 2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey you kill the salad bar and take the burger home, shame on you, what must the soup feel about this.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg it's a strategy. Soup is for home with quality stocks and ingredients. Far More costly and done in smaller batches. I don't want to pay up to fill up on water. That's why I like Bourbon and vodka. I do appreciate a good salad bar. They load'em with junk too like wings, beef tacos, nuts and all kids of cheese too.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      A few shreds of lettuce. That's my kind of salad.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here