Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Beef Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray View Post
    Barry, that looks like my kind of meal! Great cook and thanks for the pics...I learn a great deal from them. I was interested in the temp differences that you were getting between the Mavs and the Thermapen. I recently tested the difference between a GMG supplied for temp probe vs Mav 733's and a Thermopop; the GMG temp probe came with the Davy Crocket model I recently purchased based on your comments and others. As the IT of the turkey breast that I cooked climbed, the temp reading of the GMG probe rose at a much higher rate than the Mav so I pulled out the Thermopop (which I rely on as the standard) and checked temps. It was quite closet the Mav 733 at about 100F, actually they were only a couple of degrees apart and the GMG probe was 20F higher. I know that you used your RecTec for this cook but has your experience been similar to mine with the DC?

Ray on my DC I use my Mavericks and the Thermopen and ignore the meat probe that comes with it. I understand that GMG will work with you to get the meat probe to be more accurate but, they are just changing it to match your Maverick. I am in the middle of upgrading my phone app and the DC software. I kind of messed it up and plan on calling GMG to get some help tomorrow. Pick your favorite thermometer and that becomes your gold standard for temps. You got to second guess yourself and check up on things to make sure they are correct. I really like my DC and think it is a neat little grill.

Comment

Last night the wife had two more of the BSR's and said they were even better than when they came off the grill.

The next ones I will cambro as per Huskee and hopefully that will help them a lot.

Comment

Barry, it sounds like a lot of work but I use plastic wrap and then place it in the Cambro for about 30 minutes. As for the taste of leftovers, sometimes after a weekend cook I bring them to my co-workers and they're always amazed. A quick hit in the microwave and it still retains so much moisture and flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by eugenek View Post
          Barry, it sounds like a lot of work but I use plastic wrap and then place it in the Cambro for about 30 minutes. As for the taste of leftovers, sometimes after a weekend cook I bring them to my co-workers and they're always amazed. A quick hit in the microwave and it still retains so much moisture and flavor.
          I am learning the plastic wrap. It is great and i will use it for my first cambro. Thanks Eugene!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here