Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket & Pork Butt in Smoker at same time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket & Pork Butt in Smoker at same time...

I'm going to be doing a 9 lb. brisket (flat) and a 8.5 lb pork butt in my Masterbuilt Pro box smoker this weekend. The question I have is does it matter which piece of meat is above the other? Since the brisket is a flat, I don't want it to dry out and am thinking I should put the pork butt above it. Also, I like both apple and hickory wood for smoking. Does one work better or is it a matter of personal preference? Thank you!

I've never done this. It has been brought up before and I think it went like brisket above because pork drippings may overpower your beef and or wash off your rub and mess up the bark.

Comment

I'd put the butt above the brisket, but I have no idea if it makes a difference. Every cooker I have, the meat can go side by side. Is oak an option for the wood? I think that goes great with both of these meats, but it's a matter of personal preference.

Comment

You can go either way it's poultry you need to worry about. You don't want raw poultry dripping on anything. All you got to do now is decide do you want your beef to taste like pork or your pork to taste like beef?
        That's always been my biggest criticisim of verticals.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, going by the bacon on beef principle, I'd try with the butt above this time, and the other way next time. If you can stagger them a bit, all the better!

I did pork spares over beef back ribs a couple of weeks back, and it was no problem.

This is what Meathead said in an article for the best setup for a WSM and other bullet shaped smokers.

"Be aware that the top rack meats will drip on the lower meats, so I never put poultry or fish under pork or beef. If you are cooking both beef and pork, I put pork on top."

Comment

Would it be possible to cut the brisket and butt in half and put the half brisket above the other half brisket and same with the butt?

This way you would also get more bark.

Comment

Butt over Brisky

Comment

Can’t go wrong with hickory. I’ve tried different wood and always find myself going back to hickory. I honestly don’t think most people can tell a difference in the end. Some can, but most can’t.

Comment

I used hickory for my last brisket, and it was very good. I've also done oak. I don't think it matters a lot - I tend to use apple wood more than anything for pork, and oak or hickory for beef. My chicken is usually just straight charcoal or propane heat.

Comment

Which ever is the bigger cut of meat put up top as it is usually hotter.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies! I greatly appreciate it! I think I'll try the butt on top and use hickory. Will post pictures when everything is done.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here