Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tip Characteristics ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip Characteristics ?

I have been thinking about trying to BBQ Tri Tip for the first time. How tender is it compared to other cuts of beef? Is it like a rump roast or something more tender like NY Strip steaks or even Rib steaks?

Thanks!

If you get the prime and make sure to cut against the grain it's a great steak. I slice it into 1/4" thick slices. It definitely isn't as tender as a strip steak. But it is for sure tender enough to be cooked to medium rare and be thoroughly enjoyed. It's got a great buttery beefy flavor. I've marinated, rubbed, board sauced...smoked to probe like buttah like a brisket...all ways I've cooked them I've loved them. Even using the deli slicer for the leftovers and making French dips.

Meathead has a good cutting guide on the free side.

I recommend a good reverse sear, it can stand up to a lot of smoke too which we all obviously love. Enjoy! and post some pics!

Comment

• Omega-Man
      Omega-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!
      I have also been thinking Sous Vide instead of reverse sear. What do you think?

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd add that it probably gets really tough when cooked past medium rare. It just seems to be that kind of cut.

I'm sure it'll be good. I like to give it some smoke flavor but at the end of the day it's personal preference. The sous vide may help tenderize it some more!

Comment

I say all that with zero sous vide experience, there are quite a few people on here that have a lot of experience with Sous vide that I'm sure will give some input soon!

Comment

I sous vide them often and it makes a noticeable difference in tenderness. However, cooking them the traditional way, a la Santa Maria style, gives it a nice chewy (not tough) texture, call it al dente. I have done them L and S to a brisket-like consistency as well. Experiment with these, they are a very forgiving cut of meat. Here's a nice SV recipe: https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/re...moked-tri-trip
      Last edited by CaptainMike; July 15, 2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

There are two schools of thought on Sous Vide process for tri tip. Minimum time on the Baldwin curve for thickness:

That probably works to 3-4 hours.

the other school of thought is to go longer, like 8-24h. I think my preference is to go to the 8, pinch it and see how I feel about the tenderness. I don’t do them often, because I don’t see them here in Chicago but once in a blue moon.

Its a piece of sirloin. Treat accordingly.

Either way, Shock after Sous Vide for a better sear with less overcook.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree, it’s sirloin!!! Last couple I’ve done the same as a coulotte. SV for 5-6 hours, shock, paint with beef love, season & sear! Tri tip & SV is a great pairing!

No sous vide no tri-tip for me. I prefer to cut into smaller portions pre-cook.

Comment

I've never sous vide a prime one, I think it's unnecessary personally. I do have a choice one I may throw in the bath to see if I can tenderize it further. The ones I've gotten from Crowd Cow I just cooked like a big steak to medium rare via reverse sear method. It's a very tender steak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tritip04.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	532685

Comment

Tri-tip has a big beefy flavor. So much so we dry brine, reverse sear and hit it with black pepper just before searing. Nothing more. It produces a lot of juice when sliced so use a cutting board on which you can collect the juice.

It is tender IF you slice across the grain. You need to pay attention when you slice. It is a triangle (often more like boomerang-shaped) cut and the grain runs different directions.

It is our go-to steak. One steak feeds our family of 3 with leftovers so we only need to cook one piece of beef, it is versatile--will take various rubs and board sauces, can be a steak, can be sandwiches--and very easy to prepare.

Comment

I like most steaks with Salt and Pepper and no wood smoke. Tri Tip you can hit with smoke which I do with red oak, I also add garlic powder and reverse sear to IT of 130. Don't forget to Dry Brine over night 24 hrs is best. You are going to love it. Only Ribeye is better to me. Click image for larger version

Name:	057.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	532793

Comment

TT is traditionally served with salsa and 'Suzy Q' seasoning. Both go well with eggs so I probably eat just as much of this meat for breakfast as I do dinner. Here's a few options I like, and which you'll see in various Southern Cal diners:
                • Omelet: Salsa, avocado, cheese, grilled onion.
                • Eggs Benedict: avocado, grilled onions, hollandaise sauce, english muffin
                • With eggs & grits or hash with toast
                I don't know anything about SV, but the butcher who founded TT cooked them for about 45 minutes on a rotisserie. When it got really popular he would cook it at his house over a wood fireplace. Most of the bad TT I've had is from either seared to hell meat, cooked too long, sliced too thick or sliced the wrong way.

If you botch things up (or just don't like it) just shred up slices into an omelet surrounded by others flavors and you're good to go.
                Last edited by Larry Grover; July 16, 2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Here's the video for making sure you slice it right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU

Comment

I did what Troutman did: cook it like a thick steak. I did reverse sear, 250* until it got around 120 or so, then over the heat, getting all sides by turning and holding with tongs.

It tastes like steak on the outside, and like roast beef on the inside. Cut properly, tenderness isn't an issue. It's about as tender as a hangar steak.

Edit: Oh yeah, also: I made a board sauce out of olive oil and fresh herbs, it was outstanding. I used sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, garlic, and red pepper.
                    Last edited by Mosca; July 16, 2018, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah! I've been super into board sauces lately! TriTip is super with a good board sauce! Mosca, we have very similar tastes in fresh herbs!

Comment

Originally posted by PappyBBQ View Post
                        Yeah! I've been super into board sauces lately! TriTip is super with a good board sauce! Mosca, we have very similar tastes in fresh herbs!
                        What is your favorite board sauce?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here