Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking over 2 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Eugene, we are enjoying your journey. It is all good.

Comment

Thanks, the internal temp was down to 132° by the time I got it back on so hopefully there shouldn't be too much risk. On with the cook! One thing I didn't mention is that I got this meat free from my butcher to try out. He ordered some short ribs from Mexico from a brand called Bona Prime. We noticed they're a little smaller and wondered if maybe the cows were smaller over there, haha. He said he specified plate when ordering but I have a suspicion they're chuck. I noticed the meat seemed to have an additional layer of fat and meat on top of the short ribs. If this is chuck, is it possible I've got short ribs with brisket on top?? I might have my anatomy all wrong, though.

Comment

Here's the most obvious one from the 4 slabs I got. It's got a band of fat right through the middle. The meat on top isn't thick. Each slab is about the size of my outstretched palm. It's like the cornish hen of short ribs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5713.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	53607

Here's an example of the difference in size between the short ribs from Bona Prime from Mexico (top) and Harris Ranch here in Central Cal (bottom):

Name:	IMG_1258.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	53641

Name:	FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	53639
        Attached Files
        Last edited by eugenek; January 18, 2015, 11:49 AM.

Comment

It's 9:15 am and after an hour-and-a-half it just hit 190° like a champ. I'm going to let it climb a bit further and then rest it. Thanks everyone for the help and encouragement, now back to your regularly scheduled program!

Comment

That's the way to persevere, Eugene. Good luck with the rest of the cook, though it doesn't sound like you need it.

DEW

Comment

Thanks again all for the help. It's like I've got my own 24/7 BBQ support line! The short ribs turned out pretty good although a little overcooked. But I'm gonna blame that on… the brisket?? I usually don't get stalls with short ribs so it was definitely panic time for me, but that's where I placed the probe. I took a couple slabs over to my butcher and we're pretty sure that that's what the top layer was. Who knew I'd be doing my first brisket cook. Check out the pics below and tell me what you think:

Name:	image_5728.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	53813

The top layer of meat coming right off

Name:	image_5731.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	53815

Here's the box they came in. It says NAMP 123A which should be the short plate ribs, but I'm not so sure.

Name:	image_5727.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	53812

The "brisket" portion was very dry, but the short ribs turned out good. My butcher and his team liked it so much he gave me the rest of the ribs!
              Last edited by eugenek; January 18, 2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here