Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Tri-Tip

Two months ago I smoked my first Tri-Tip. While I am sure I have more to learn, it turned out pretty tasty. Pink and tender. Some chew, but not bad. I seared it on both side for a minute and then smoked it for an hour or two.

Tonight I ordered Tri-Tip from a restaurant. It was seasoned well and came to plate pink. All good. However, it was as chewy of a piece of meat I've had. The menu said they grilled it to rare.

Ultimately, I am curious as to why there would be such a difference. Maybe I got lucky?

Any thoughts?

Perhaps it was not cut against the grain?

Comment

Inherently TT's are on the chewy side I think. That's why they lend themselves well to a very long and slow reverse sear. Want to really soften one up, try a long SV, then chill it in an ice bath, and then smoke and reverse sear. Much more tender.

Comment

Like mentioned above tri-tip is one of the "chewest" meats even when cut against the grain. Sous vide is my only route with it.

Comment

I beginning to wonder if I can get anything decent from a restaurant that I can & have cooked at home. My wife says I’m gettin really picky when we go out to eat, because lately, 6 mos to a year, I have been greatly disappointed. I now order what I cannot or do not cook at home. My wife also is not a fan of certain types of restaurants, because she says "they don’t make it as good as you".
          I also know I pale in the likes of most here in the Pit. I think if I am going to travel I might try to find members addresses for the good eatin places.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Stop on by, Brother! Yer always welcome, an it'll make ya feel a whole lot better bout yer cookin!

I bet they cut it wrong. There's a drastic difference if you don't cut against the grain...

Comment

I love tri tip! First indirect heat, then a quick sear. What temp did you bring it up to? And how did you slice it? TT is tricky to slice as the grains change direction.

Since you’re new, and if you haven't already done so, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you:

Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Account tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at [email protected]

Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important so you can receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all payingUSA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thanks for joining!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Here's the video for making sure you slice it right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxHmuV4vTU

Comment

• Dbaird34
                  Dbaird34 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Never cooked or cut a Tritip. A very well done video, actually learned something, Thank you

We started cooking Tri tip like brisket at home
                The chewy experience just wasn't working
                Now smoke it to 140 then wrap to 190 or higher
                slices like butter
                When we cater we can use a electric slicer
                So if its not to the high temp,
                very thin slices will give us rare meat that is tender
                Some folks gotta see red meat to be happy

Comment

What Jerod Broussard said!!! SV at 130 for 6 hours, paint with "beef love", season and sear!!! Tender and pink with awesome flavor!

Comment

efran1666

1. Choice grade Tri Tips or higher.
                    2. Add a 24 hr dry brine and dry on a rack in the fridge.
                    3. Smoke @ 200-225 til IT of 115 to 120. Red oak if you can find it
                    4. Pat Tri Tip dry with paper towels and coat with olive oil.
                    5. Sear over warp 10 coals flippping every 30 seconds til IT of 130.
                    6. Rest for 10-15 minutes.
                    7. Slice as the video above suggests and enjoy a nice med rare Tri Tip. It is the best buy for the money in BBQ in California hands down.
                    Last edited by OSB; July 8, 2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here