Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7# rump roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7# rump roast

I bought a 7+# rump roast for the 4th. I'm planning on turning it on my rotisserie. Using the cow crust recipe found here. Making it a paist and rubbing it on well.
    low and slow at about 225° using the slow n sear and a water reservoir.

Any suggestions? Does this sound about right
    Attached Files

Cooked to medium rare, sliced super thin and piled high on a kaiser roll with some onions and horseradish mayo sounds awesome!

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Pit beef !!!!!!!

Of course if you had a SV machine, that's what I'd use for the main part of the cook, then some smoke.

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      What is SV machine?

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sous-vide. Really good for changing tough cuts into tender.

Oh ok. Thanks

Comment

I guess there isn't many rotisserie guys/gals on here.

Comment

Well today is the day I cook the roast. I didn't get the info I needed so I'll try asking directly. I know you all are great and can help.
        After trimming the fat cap, I think I have 6 to 6 1/2 # rump roast. If I grill it at about 225°, I need to know when I should put it on the rotisserie to plan dinner around 6pm.
        Does anyone know about how long it will take? Or is 225° to low? Thank you

Comment

I've not done this cook, so I'll refer you to abcbarbecue's recipe for roasts using the Slow 'N Sear. Cook 225 (are you using the rotisserie just for the 225 portion?), then reverse sear (directly over the SnS). Hope this is helpful. https://abcbarbecue.com/roasts/
          Last edited by fuzzydaddy; July 4, 2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. Depending on how it looks, I will reverse sear over SnS. But usually I don't bother. I'm not crazy about what looks like a burnt crust. I like it a little crusty but not black. Just a little scorch marks are great for me.
            I'll definitely go look at ABC. Thank you

Post a pic or two!

Comment

• Joetee
            Joetee commented
            Editing a comment
            I will. Probably lots. LOL

Ok I did it. Really really good.
          Attached Files

Comment

Nice job

Comment

<looks great!

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

And to think you doubted yourself.
                  Nice job. Looks delicious.

Comment

• Joetee
                    Joetee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you. I did. But it came out better than planned. Will be doing this again and won't change a thing except maybe sear a little more.

Really good job. I have one in the freezer from Crowd Cow, think I'll throw mine on the grill this weekend, your's certainly inspires.

Comment

• Joetee
                    Joetee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you. It's been a long time since I've had meat cooked the way I like it. The rest of the family wants there's like card board. So when the thickest end was just right, I thin a knife and cut it through the middle of the spit. I think mine off the grill and left there's on to get very be well got them.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here