Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cutting steaks from picanha- across or with the grain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting steaks from picanha- across or with the grain?

OK, you would think this is a no brainer, especially for someone who has read and reread and re-re-read AR.com articles along with spending countless hours watching YouTube videos and reading articles on grilling! However, I think I am a product of TMI (too much information for those who do not have teenagers or are simply acronym adverse).

I have made picanha in the past and it was almost a religious experience- the taste, texture, juiciness, presentation, etc. were fantastic. I don't cook it often (trying to make the family think it's really special), but I decided it was time again.

So, I went to the butcher store and he cut me a 4.3 lb picanha with a thick fat cap. Previously, the picanha's I got were from Whole Foods and <3 lbs. I salted it for ~5 hours (not my typical overnight salt job, but 5 hours should have been enough), cooked it up like I usually do- at 250° until ~115°, took it off to rest a bit (rest it? blasphemy), cut it into ~1.5" steaks, peppered them, and seared on ~750° grill grates on my gasser. Here it is before I sliced into steaks and seared...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.JPG
Views:	8966
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	523910

Color looked great, they were very juicy, but... they were much tougher than normal.

<insert picture here that i forgot to take after they were seared!)

Because (I thought, at least) I did the exact same thing I have done before, I declared that the toughness must have been due to the difference in the starting meat (a grillers safe fall back for anytime the cook does not turn out right!). However, deep down, I couldn't accept that it was all due to the meat. Yes, I had previously bought grass fed picanha ('cause that's how we roll here in Boulder County, Colorado) and this time I went the "My Butcher, Frank" (it's actually "Your Butcher, Frank" but who's keeping track?), but could the meat have been that much different?

After re-reading (for the nth time) my previous picanha cook logs, I noticed I had written down that I cut the steaks along the grain the previous times and across the grain this time (wow, making detailed notes has actually paid off!). Being the studious griller, I went to the expert, the web, and re-read articles and watched videos on how to cut steaks from picanha. I discovered that people swear you cut along the grain, while others are positive you cut against the grain. How could something this simple be this contentious. It's not like- resting your meat vs no resting, reverse sear vs up front sear, wrap vs no wrap, etc, etc. etc.; where you can typically do either and still have a great final product.

After reading and watching multiple videos, here's my hypothesis on whether to cut along or across the grain when cutting your steaks- it depends. I know, very insightful.

Let me explain. It all depends on how your final steak is going to be cut into smaller pieces for eating. You alwasy want this final cut to be across the grain.

For example, if I was going to "gaucho" serve my picanha on a skewer and cut off thin slices down the skewer...

Name:	gaucho picanha.jpg
Views:	8668
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	523911

You would want to cut the steaks across the grain so when you slice them off the skewer, you would again be slicing across the grain to serve onto the plate to ensure every piece has part of that delicious fat cap.

However, if you serve them as steaks and be able to taste the fat cap in every bite, you would cut the steaks along the grain and then serve.

Name:	picanha steak.jpg
Views:	8705
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	523912

Does this make any sense, or is it 5 o'clock somewhere so I can start my weekend a bit early!

Sincerely,
    "Head spinning" picanha neophyte

Definitely 5 o’clock somewhere. So what are we drinking?

But thanks for write up. I have a few picanha steaks in the freezer to cook so reading this was insightful and will make me read some before cooking.

Comment

I came here expecting to learn something new about piranha, but then realized it wasn't fish he was talking about.

I think I need a beer.

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        What do you want to know about piranha - maybe I can help?

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing. I just misread the title initially when scanning the posts, and was trying to be funny...

I think I can answer. First of all when cutting ANY protein, especially beef, you ALWAYS cut against the grain. Cutting with the grain does not break apart the way the protein structure is bonded. I believe you know that to be true.

Now having said that, what the South Americans do, and you eluded to above, is the cook strips on skewers Groucho style. They cut the strips along the grain and feed onto those skewers. When done you then cut the strips against the grain into individual bites. If they did the opposite the meat would be tough. Does that make sense?

Bottom line, always cut against the grain for any piece of prepared beef.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. And yes, it is 5pm in the Atlantic timezone.

Troutman - I agree that you want to cut each bite across the grain.

But, this means you would cut the steaks along the grain if you're cooking them skewer style and along the grain if your grilling them like "normal" steaks. This will result in the final cut being across the grain (each bit have a bit of the fat cap) and much more delightful to eat! Check out this article and I just did a little kitchen experiment to prove it to myself.

BTW- it's now 5pm in Colorado!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here