Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Brisket - What, Where and How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Brisket - What, Where and How?

Been a long time Meathead fan and follower and was inspired to join the Pitmaster Club so I can ask this one question: Where can/should I go to buy a good quality whole packer beef brisket?
    I have wanted to do a brisket for years but have had a very hard time finding a whole packer brisket in my area (Central New Jersey). Whole Foods has one of the best meat departments in my area and they have plenty of first cut/flat briskets (i.e. the one you don't want) but no second cut/points. And when I asked for a whole packer brisket they had no idea what I was talking about. I have seen people here reference Costco, but I don't see anything on their web site either.
    Is this something I can order from a good producer on-line?
    Thanks!

Believe it or not I have gotten several of mine from Walmart and they have all been pretty good in my opinion. I got a couple from a local butcher as well but Walmart has been a good go to. If you have a Sam's club, they have some good options as well.

Comment

hi, I am from Bridgewater NJ . I have been able to get whole packer prime briskets from Hind and Fore in Bridgewater nj. He is a high end butcher and carries very good quality prime meats, pork etc.($$$$) However , the largest whole brisket ive gotten was 12 lbs , 90% of the time they are between 7.5 -9 lbs. Always comes out great though. Last one was 10lbs aprox $140.

you can call ahead to order, or reserve , or just to ask what they have available .

Ive also been thinking of giving Snake River Farms a try - which is mail order (many use them). but of course I would have the added shipping cost.
      Last edited by Jon Liebers; June 29, 2018, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I get mine from Publix.

try going to Whole Foods and instead of asking for a "packer brisket" ask for the "whole brisket" in the vacuum wrap. If they don’t get that just say "I would like an uncut brisket directly from the box in the back. Just pull one out and I will take it as is"

thats what I have to do at Publix. Ask for one directly from the box in the back as is don’t do anything except weigh and tag it.

The weird thing is that I know Publix gets whole briskets, but they only sell flats (unless you know the magic words). I never see the points. Ever. I have NO IDEA what they do with them. It’s a mystery.

Comment

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ask the meat department manager at Publix to order you brisket point. They will get one for you in a day or two. At least that works in the Orlando Publix that I go to. Same goes for full packer (they refer to it as "Whole Trimmed Brisket with Point").
        Last edited by johnec00; June 29, 2018, 08:32 AM.

• ddmcwhirter
        ddmcwhirter commented
        Editing a comment
        God forbid the points go to hamburger. Nooooooo!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        ddmcwhirter I'm afraid that might be their most common fate!

Got mine at Costco. USDA Prime. Separated the point from the flat and made KC Burnt Ends out of the point. Ruined the flat (long story). The burnt ends came out perfect. Meat candy.

Comment

I feel your pain. Up here in Westchester County, I haven't found a source for whole brisket. Costco is the closest where I can get a 5-7lb flat with a decent amount of fat and some portion of the point but never seen a whole packer there. Its a much better option than the overly trimmed small pieces you find at the supermarket. Asking the butchers/meat cutters at supermarkets have gotten me blank stares.

Comment

Costco in Illinois pretty much always has them.

Comment

Don't sell the supermarket flats short. They are usually trimmed for pot-roast style brisket, so there's less work, and they still come out really tender when done right: none of us are doing whole packers and throwing away the flat at the end! If it's all you can get, then it's still brisket.

Comment

Is there a Restaurant Depot near you? You need a business license to get in (any license, not just food service). Also, KCBS members get in. With their prices, the cost of the KCBS membership gets lost in the noise level pretty quickly.

Restaurant Depot has spent the past 30 years helping independent food businesses save money and raise profits. Join now and save more!

Comment

• SmokeyGator
                SmokeyGator commented
                Editing a comment
                KCBS says you get a day pass at any RD location. Dies that mean one day pass or one day pass each time I show up?

• johnec00
                johnec00 commented
                Editing a comment
                SmokeyGator - I show them the printed pass from the KCBS site and my membership card and they wave me in. I've been numerous times using the same printed pass, so I don't know why they call it a "day pass".

• SmokeyGator
                SmokeyGator commented
                Editing a comment
                AWESOME! I joined KCBS today just for this. I had a RD card but had to quit going because of reasons. I was saving my employer money....but bypassing the procurement process.

Anyway since I had to quit going there I was looking for a legit way back in. THANKS!!

I'd like to echo wal-mart, Sams Club, and Costco. Even though they're not on the website if you have a local Costco they may carry them, as they do in NC. I've gotten choice briskets from Sams and even sometimes Wal-mart for around $3 a lb. Costco only carries Prime but even then it's about $3.50-3.75 a lb.
              Costco will let you in to look around even if you don't have a membership.

Comment

I have heard that Costco Business Centers carry packers. NJ has the Costco BC closest to me, (and I ain't drivin' that far for any meat ). You might give them a call.

In my area, Walmart carries select packers with an occasional choice hiding in the bin. So just look at each brisket and you might get lucky.

Many of the groceries are getting most, if not all, their meats prepackaged now, so their is not much chance of having them pull something out of the back, but it is possible. I was in Whole Foods the other day and asked if they had whole short ribs. They told me no, and that they came to the store already cut and packaged..

I asked a Kroger butcher if they could get packers, (before the local Costco started carrying them), and he told me they could, but he didn't know the price or grade.

Comment

I'm in NJ also. I get mine from Snake River Farms.

Comment

• Jon Liebers
                    Jon Liebers commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ive purchased plenty of prime from Costco, always only flats in NJ. I'm also going to try SRF but Hind and Fore is excellent just a bit over priced.

Welcome to the Pit from Southern Illinois.
                  Wal-Mart and Sam’s club usually have choice packers in our area.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all of the tips and advice!

Comment

Move to Texas, we have them coming out our ears

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here