Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am sure this has been asked before - Brisket Question - how much wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sure this has been asked before - Brisket Question - how much wood?

So I have been hunting the forums but no luck finding the answer to my how much wood to use question.

Anyway, this this my first Packer Cut brisket - ~13lb untrimmed. It was pricey so I am somewhat nervous.

Using a WSM, with a fan temp regulator.

New England climate.

Thinking of mixing Hickory and Cherry chunks.....

The question is how much wood should I use?

Thank you in advance!

Whatever I am cooking if I am using charcoal as my main source of heat I usually don’t go more than a couple of decent sized chunks.

Comment

My guess is 3 chunks, if they're half-fist sized. That seems to me to be a good mid range amount for a large charcoal bowl.

Comment

Just a couple-three chunks totaling about fist sized. That will be plenty! I used to use a lot more, and while the smoke flavor when doing that definitely sets the cook apart, the overall flavor of everything is better with less. It’s smoked meat, not meaty smoke.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here