Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef love

till me more about beef love how do you store it

I render the fat trimmings in a pan over low heat. Then I pour the rendered lard into ice cube trays and freeze 'em. Give's me nice "cubes" to thaw and use! Oh, and once frozen in the tray I remove them and store in freezer zip locks.
    Last edited by PappyBBQ; June 18, 2018, 03:17 PM. Reason: Add storage info

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      We think alike!

• PappyBBQ
      PappyBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd say!

I take my brisket trimmings and over a low flame cook them down in a CI skillet. Stir occasionally to make sure all pieces get the heat. Cook them about 30-45 mins until they render down and there's a good amount of liquid fat in the skillet and brown crispy pieces floating. This takes a long time.

Then skim out the solid pieces and feed them to the dogs/cats.

Then pour the liquid into an ice cube tray. Freeze.

When frozen, put the cubes into a ziploc bag and store in the freezer (or fridge I suppose would work).

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree! Even eat some myself with a little salt. Awesome! If you are gonna feed your pets though, be sure and ration them out sparingly! Too much fats can trigger pancreatitis which is VERY painful, expensive to treat and too often fatal!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, thanks HorseDoctor. Does this apply only to cooked fats or raw too?

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Any fats in excess can be problematic. Some fat is fine but ration it out... It'll last longer and safer too.

Huskee has it. I love dropping those vibes into a pot of chili for some added fat. The ice tray is very handy. Plus your house smells AAAAAAmazing when you are making it!

Comment

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      Is this something you could inject in to a brisket

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, yes it is. Just make sure the BL is not hot. You want it to be warm enough to flow, but not so hot that it will cook the meat around the injection point. Fire Art

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      You can, and it’s tasty, but it’ll take a big needle and you’ll have to work fast. It’ll set up while your injecting otherwise.

Render it down in a dutch oven in the oven on low. beef cracklins go to the dog, the tallow goes in the deep fryer and filtered through a coffee filter and canning funnel into mason jars. then they go in the fridge to store, or the on the counter to use.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman pan frying, sauté veggies, searing stuff. Anything that calls for oil or fat.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice !! My folks always had a large can of bacon fat for that same purpose. Funny how we were discouraged from using it, now they say it may be beneficial, go figure!!! Pork and beef fat rule !!!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman we use butter, lard, bacon grease, beef tallow, and olive oil in my house.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here