Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to call this type of beef rib?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to call this type of beef rib?

Can anyone tell me how to ask for this type of beef ribs? What do I ask the butcher for? I must have and smoke them!!! Lol
    Attached Files

looks soooo good, show that pic to your butcher and say …. I want!!!

Comment

Beef short rib.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, that's the one.

Short rib that was probably cooked as the Plate... I can get short ribs at Walmart but they are riblets that are cut pieces that are not very big.

If you get the Plate it should have 4 bones in it and you would be able to slice it like that.

There are several subsections and cuts from the ribs: Back ribs, ribeyes, short ribs, English cut, flanken cut ribs, riblets, boneless short ribs.

Comment

There are two basic types of short ribs - short ribs and chuck short ribs. Both are great, but I think short ribs have a bit more meat while chuck short ribs have a bit more marbling. SR plates will have three bones, and CSR plates will have four bones.

Here's a link that will give more info:

There are several popular types of beef short rib cuts, each with a different muscle and fat composition making it ideal for different cooking styles.

Huskee and I prefer the CSRs, but others here prefer the SRs. You may have to ask for full plates because most groceries seem to cut them up for display.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. My butcher seems to always have 4 bone short ribs. I didn't realize they were chuck short ribs. Maybe I'll look closer or ask next time to see if both are available.
          Last edited by Attjack; June 15, 2018, 09:10 AM.

Check out https://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/barbecue-cut-identification/ What you want is "Chuck short ribs" or IMPS cut number 130 (usuallyu 4 bones). Second choice would be "Plate short ribs" IMPS 123A (usually 3 bones). Good luck!

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I prefer chuck, more meat to fat ratio in the ones sold here, more fat to meat in the plates

Go to Costco. They come in cryovacs of two racks. If you dont see them, ask the butcher for short ribs still in the cryo.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I have looked many times for short ribs at Costco, but my local Costco does not carry them. The do carry boneless chuck short ribs, but I think the bone adds appeal - if not flavor.

• PappyBBQ
          PappyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes they do! Just picked up a pack!

I call that type of beef rib YUMMY!!

Comment

Thanks for the insight everyone! Good community here.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here