Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First brisket may be ruined... Need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First brisket may be ruined... Need advice...

Hey folks,
    I put my brisket on the pellet grill before going to bed last night (about 6 hours ago). Approximately 4 hours into the cook (I am guessing), the grill crapped out and I woke up to a cold grill and an 80F internal temp on my brisket. It was 77F when I went to bed.

The grill I will deal with myself, I have it up and running again.

Back to the brisket...
    It does have a nice mahogany color on it, so it definitely got a few hours of smoke. But I haven't an exact idea how long it sat in the cold grill.

I wrapped it with a little beef broth inside the wrap and put it back on... Just trying to get the internal temp back up without ruining it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by Xandera_7; June 13, 2018, 05:31 AM.

I think you are OK. The Brisket temp will get well above the temp to kill bacteria. I would do a taste test from various parts of the brisket before serving. If it tastes funky then toss it. Another consideration is who you are cooking for. Are you hoping to get a job or money from someone that will be eating the brisket. Or is it a bunch of your buddies.

Here is a website talking about bacteria and food.

The longer you cook something or the higher temperature you cook it, the more the heat will affect the flavor of the food. Overcooking to kill bacteria is a food myth.

Just my 2cents (before taxes)

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Its just for family.
      That was my big concern about it... The possibility of food born illness. Thanks for your reply

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      So why are you wearing that surgical mask cccq ? (sorry couldn't help myself )

You'll be fine! Get it back cooking!

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      It just hit 203 and I pulled it. It is sitting in the cooler now. Fingers crossed!

I'm thinking it's fine.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here