Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry-aged picanha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry-aged picanha

So I went a little crazy a while ago and started dry-aging a whole picanha. Today it’s been 45 days so I took it out, and this is what it looks like. It’s hard as a rock on the bottom part, and once I started trimming the outside part’s I’m getting left with very little meat, and it’s looking kind of dark. What do you guys think? Will I die if I eat this?
    Attached Files

Isn't the pichana supposed to have the fat cap left on

Comment

You won't die... but not sure I would do that again... Interesting to hear how the flavor is?

Comment

I think you ruined a good piece of meat, but maybe I'm wrong. Dry aging individual steaks leaves way too much waste. I would consider this in that category. But like HorseDoctor says, tell us how it ends up tasting.

Comment

• gijsveltman
          gijsveltman commented
          Editing a comment
          It wasn't an individual steak, but the whole picanha, about 3.5lbs if I remember correctly. But yeah, it looks like it's ruined. The fat cap was way go thick, and the meat part too thin.

You won't die. But I do remember over-curing a brasiola and it got "case-hardened", which I think is what you're seeing here. Was a bit of a waste.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha! BTDT also! Hard as a rock!

That looks similar in color to the whole ribeyes I’ve dry aged, 40-45 days. But from what I’ve read, doing smaller cuts and then trimming leaves very little meat, which you pointed out. Som on here don’t really trim these, maybe just the few discolored areas that aren’t normal if they have any.

As for smell, does it have a foul odor or anything like that?

Comment

• gijsveltman
          gijsveltman commented
          Editing a comment
          No foul odor of any kind!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I do minimal trimming on dry-aged beef. After all most of that stuff has the best flavor. The first time I cut more aggressively and the dogs were very happy, and we got some good stuff for beef stock. But now I like to keep it on the cut. If it's not likable, well, there are always dogs and stockpots.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here