Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse sear, ribeye falling apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse sear, ribeye falling apart

Hi all,

I reverse seared some choice ribeyes on my weber 22 this evening. I flipped them a few times while they cooked at 225. Question is though, is there a way to keep them from falling apart? Should I just be more careful flipping? Buy higher quality cuts of steak? Thicker cuts? Something else?

How come they didn't stay together like in David Parrish 's YouTube video?

I still seared them and they tasted great, but I want them to look nice on the plate and not falling apart.

Thanks,
    mikey

Attached Files

I only flip them once while slow cooking them, and by the time they hit 115 F they're ready to sear. It looks to me like you may have taken them to a little higher temp. Around 120 F the fat starts melting... which is what looks like happened to one of your steaks.

Comment

• mikey
      mikey commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes sense. I had trouble keeping the kettle from getting too hot. Charcoal is still new to me. SnS worked great on the sear though. Thanks!

• vandy
      vandy commented
      Editing a comment
      I only start out with 25 to 30 briquettes for the low and slow part of it then add about 3/4 of a chimney of hot ones for the sear.

Fire too hot? Tell us what you did making the fire. Maybe we can help with that too.

Comment

Thanks for offering RonB ! I filled my chimney half way and got the charcoal white. I dumped it in the SnS and opened the bottom and top vents completely. When it hit 200 on grate level, I shut down the bottom vents to 1/4 open and top to 1/3 open. The temp blew past 225 to 350. I ended up placing the lid offset on top of the grill to slow cook the steaks. The grate level temp was 250 - 275 for the cook. At this point I was just fumbling through the process just to get something edible on the dinner table. Anyway, I was thinking I had too many coals or I shut the vents down too late? I dunno? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comment

I’ll add a few things I read this past weekend because I was having a hard time with temps on the kettle. For low 225* you only need 1/4 chimney full of briquettes. That should help on your 225* temp a lot. Then you can dump more in for the sear later. Hope that helps for the next ribeye.

Comment

• mikey
          mikey commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Think I had too many. Next time I'll even count em out just for consistency.

Be sure to check out our lighting instructions. We tell you how much charcoal to use for most any cook!

Comment

I think you took them too high temp. For thinner ribeyes ( these look that) I only take to just about 100 degrees, the searing will take the internal temp to med rare. I only slow cook to 115 or so with a really think steak.

Comment

I'd try putting them in the freezer and taking them down to about 32 F (they won't be frozen), then sear them fast (while your kettle is hot), then slow cook to that perfect temperature. You should get a nice sear crust that's maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick, no gray matter, and beautiful red.

Comment

Not too long ago I cooked a couple of steaks that, like yours, were practically falling apart while still raw. I just bound them with string and cooked them normally (SV followed by searing in this example). No problem ... they held their shape just fine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SV Steaks 20170310-1.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	514793

Name:	SV Steaks 20170310-2.jpg
Views:	1021
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	514794

Name:	SV Steaks 20170310-3.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	514795

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                EXACTLY!!!! I now do this on all my ribeyes that are over an inch and a half thick, anything thinner like breakfast steaks get the black iron skillet treatment.

• mikey
                mikey commented
                Editing a comment
                Those look killer. I had wondered if anyone tied steaks. If I get em thick enough, like in your picture, I'll give it a try!

This thread reminds me. My 7 year old daughter is having some teeth pulled to keep her adult teeth from coming in crooked. She gets to pick tonights meal since the surgery is tomorrow. I told her she can have anything she wants. Waiting for the pizza response, she quickly answered "Waygu ribeyes, baked potato, and cowboy beans!" how the heck does a 7 year old even know what a ribeye is let alone a waygu grade one....

Comment

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                texastweeter ??

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                For pics of the waygu ribeye, waygu strip, and 3 bone in CAB ribeyes. vandy

• vandy
                vandy commented
                Editing a comment
                OK I got you now, I am a little dense every now and then.

23-25 KBB and proper vent settings is all you need to get your steaks to 115 IT. Click image for larger version  Name:	008.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	514862
              Last edited by OSB; June 11, 2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here