Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First brisket help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First brisket help

So last weekend I decided to try and cook my first brisket. I purchased a 11lb choice from the local market. I then proceeded to cut some of the fat down to make it around 9lbs total. The night before I dry brined it and let it sit in the fridge. The day after I started up the WSM 22” and while it got up to 250 I added the big bad beef rub to it. I put it on the smoker at 1030am and didn’t really lift the lid till about 230p. At that point it was basically around 145 degrees so I opened it to take a look and sprayed it will some apple juice/Apple cider. By then point had good bark but the top of the flat looked a little dry. So I figured every hour after that I’ll spray it again. I did this till about 630p and the stall was keeping it around 165. I then crutched it till around 9pm when it got to 195 and then pulled it off and let it rest for a few hours. When cutting it I noticed the flat was very dry but the point came out a lot better. I’m not familiar enough with brisket to go by feel but I think probing the point for most of the cook might have been and issue as well as trimming too much fat from the bottom. I attached pictures below to see if anyone could help me understand better where I went wrong.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Novak; June 8, 2018, 12:06 PM.

You’re observation on the point being juicier will always be the case. The flat has much less fat and usually cooks quicker. You may want to lower the temp to 225 and only peak once during the cook so you don’t lose moisture every time the lid is taken off. Other than that it could always just be a one off of subpar meat from this animal.

Comment

I might get yelled at for this but bear with me and hear me out cause this is how I do them. by looking at your pic I see 2 things that I myself would have done different. This is strictly the way I do it. Each person is different
      1- I myself (and a lot of people may argue) always cook with the point up. For me I have found that the fat "moves" around and "puddles" onto some of flat portions.
      2- the position of the probe. Instead of putting the probe vertically in the meat I run mine horizontally from the farthest side of the point being sure not to hit the fat where the point and flat comes together instead of thru the point. Usually when the flat is done the point is also or darn near close to it and Cambro helps take it to the right temp.
      When i crutch I add a little bit of broth or beef consommé and that helps keep the flat moist.
      You pics doesn’t look bad at all but sometimes little tweaks in your next one will put it over the top.

Comment

Agree with previous statements. Flat is always dry(er). I too cook fat side up. Leave a little more fat on the fat side. Suspect all the spritzing prolongs the stall but doesn't add moisture to the flat. I always shop for packers by selecting the ones with the thickest flats as they don't get as dry. Might even want to bump the temp a little higher (275?). Will get done quicker, then wrap (+/- some juice) and spend more time in faux cambro. Good luck!

Comment

I'd quit spraying it down. Let it bark up then wrap it if necessary. Test probe tenderness in the thickest part of the flat. Good warm 2 hour hold in the faux cambro.

Comment

After listening to these good suggestions and looking back at the picture I definitely noticed I put it on wrong side up 🙈. Can’t believe I didn’t notice. But the probe position def will help since I was not sure where to probe to begin with.

Comment

No spritzing necessary, IMO. Doesn't penetrate into the meat. If your goal is to get apple juice flavor in the bark, I guess maybe. But with as peppery as BBBR is, I don't think you'll taste anything like that.

Look into injecting, I did just broth in my last one with a little veg oil. I've bought some phosphates and MSG to play around with on my next one. We'll see how it goes. Thicker flats, etc. Lots of good advice.

Comment

Always inject, unles prime or higher. I also go back and butterball the flat with canola oil. probe should be inserted from the flat end towards the point straight down the middle. Crutch with foil once bark is set and add about a 1/4 cup of beef broth. Flat does NOT have to be dry, it is just never as fatty as the point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here