Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42 day NY Strip dry age finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

42 day NY Strip dry age finished

Just finished and sliced (and had tonight) a 42 day dry aged NY strip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - NY Strip Aged 42 days.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	512267

First end cut:

Name:	2 - NY Strip Aged 42 days 1st cut.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	512268

All cuts average size about 1 3/8":

Name:	3 - All Cuts.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	512269

Trimmed ready for freezer:

Name:	4 - Trimmed for freezing.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	512270

Left over trimmings and tools of the tirade: 14" Victroinox, 10" Old Hickory, 7" Wusthoff Boning knife:

Name:	5 - Trimmings and tools.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	512271

Trimmings for home ground hamburger:

Name:	6 - Trimmings for burgers.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	512272

And last a shot of steaks on the grill. (Reverse seared to 105, used 12" CI with garlic oil and beef tallow for sear. No pics of that because, well, let's face it, I forgot. New to this "take a pic of what you are doing" thing. Did take a pic of it on my plate but was way out of focus for some reason. But it was good!)

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	512273

Attached Files

Excellent stuff! Love seeing the dry aged stories here! Hope you enjoyed and continue to enjoy your patient waiting of dry aging goodness!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife would probably just pass and ask for a grilled hotdog. She is not a major carnivore like me.

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly How many days did you dry age your last one?

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      JimLinebarger I did a 44 day age last and only time. I am midway through my next ribeye, and will have it age for 41 days, as the 41st day is what I’m calling the ex”steak”aganva with some family friends. June 24 we will be cooking steak everywhich way we can think of given the tools we have.

Congrats on gettin' it right.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. It's the 2nd time I tried it and this time worked better now that I understand the bags.

Looks so good! Why freeze them? A few more days in fridge will be okay. They should be gone in just a few days.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      There are only 3 of us eatin' and we rotate things weekly. We still have some non-aged in the freezer to finish. We usually have steaks or burgers once a week.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Steaks and burgers once a week, that’s eating good in the neighborhood!!!

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Steaks AND burgers each week would be nice!

Great post, beat me to the punch!! I’ve got a 14# ribeye at 14 days currently. Will post in about 2 weeks my results (shooting for just 30 days).

Comment

Nice.

Comment

"Ooh! Aah"!

Comment

You guys are killing me. I really want to try this. I've only had a dry aged steak once and it was @ Gallaghers Steakhouse in the NY NY in Vegas. It was outstanding and memorable.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

I want to try this one day!

well done!

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                You do!

What’s the perfect temp and humidity level for a dry age setup?

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Depends on whether you do it traditional where you need to pay attention to that, or whether you use the Umai bags, where you don't have to be so precise.

• BriggsBBQ
                BriggsBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                I’d like to know the details for both.

• Karon Adams
                Karon Adams commented
                Editing a comment
                different temps and humidities for different things, you start with a box type fridge, one with a fridge either top or bottom, not side by side. set it up with a temp controlling system (look to homebrew shops, they have them) and an ultrasonic humidifier (make sure it's ultrasonic) to set up inside the fridge. then you can set spec temps & humid settings

BriggsBBQ Here are a couple of articles on the subject:
              This one states "Temperature requirements for dry aging: Dry age at temperature between 34-38F."

This one is from The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and in pdf format.

I did not monitor the temp or humidity or airflow of my refrigerator during the process. I just rotated the NY Strip that was in an Umai bag and resting on a rack in a tray to have airflow all around the meat.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
                BriggsBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Great links. Thanks for the info. I have a keg fridge but it doesn’t get cold enough. So I’m thinking of getting a cheap chest freezer. I already have the temp controller

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                34-38 is about right for either method. For the Umai bags, you want good air circulation around the meat, which translates to: put it in your beer fridge that you open and close a lot, and on a rack. Don't touch the meat until it's ready because you'll mess up the bond of the bag to the meat. And if you get some white mold, just wipe it off with a towel with cider vinegar on it - when you cut it.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with EdF you have to have air circulation. A cheap fan could work in a closed freezer. What you are doing is wicking moisture from the surface of the meat to dehydrate.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here