Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket. Open to suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket. Open to suggestions

Hiya folks!
    I am doing my first brisket next week and just looking for advice and suggestions. All info is welcome and appreciated! It is an 11lb hunk of meat and I will be smoking ist on my Traeger.

Attached Files

There's a wealth of knowledge on here, search around a little, Meathead's write up is a great thing to read and will teach you a lot. Franklin BBQ also has some really good videos on Brisket. Also a lengthier video of him explaining how to trim a brisket.

Behold the best smoked brisket recipe ever! Texas style brisket is more than a recipe, it is a concept and a goal. It all begins by selecting the right meat, trimming it, seasoning it, smoking it, slicing it, and more. Follow this easy BBQ brisket guide for mouthwatering results!

Just search youtube for Franklin BBQ brisket.

Good luck! Have fun! and post pics!!

All that said, rub with salt and pepper, set your Traeger for 225 and give yourself at least 14 hours depending on the different variables and techniques you use! Post pics of the process!

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have reas through that article on brisket. I will probably read it again before going for it. I have watched Franklin's videos too.
      I appreciate the info!

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I came here to post the same answer. This is excellent advice.

• jerrybell
      jerrybell commented
      Editing a comment
      Start with Meatheads method. Explore further when you are feeling good with the results.

Have you read the info on brisket of the free side? I suggest you start there and then you can ask specific questions.

But the basic procedure is to trim most of the fat, (leaving about 1/4"), dry bring for overnight minimum with two or three days allowing deeper salt penetration, add a rub, and smoke somewhere between 225* and 275* until it's probe tender. Then place in a faux cambro for several hours. Then slice and serve. However, brisket dries out quickly, so only slice when you are ready to eat, and don't slice extra. Slice more when someone wants seconds.

JakeT posted the link I was going to post.

Comment

• Xandera_7
      Xandera_7 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have read through the free section's article on brisket. It was a lot to take in. I will probably read it through once more before doing this next week.
      Thanks for the advice 😄

Xandera_7 I used the Franklin videos my first time as well. He is a great teacher. I would just suggest that less is more. Keep it simple: salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic powder (very light dusting). That's it. That's how I do mine and the flavor is awesome.Spritz with water or apple juice every hour to hour and a half for the first few hours. To wrap or not to wrap, that is the question? I only wrap if I am pressed for time. Franklin also has a video on Youtube about wrapping vs not wrapping. Good luck, have fun, and let us know how it turns out, with pics please. And to add to this about how I do it and how popular it is: I have catered a wedding party where my brisket was requested. No brag, just fact (respect to the Guns of Will Sonnet for that last quote).

Oops, posted to the wrong person the firs time. Reading really is fundamental lol. Apologies to RonB and Xandera7.
    Last edited by Gunderich_1; June 6, 2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I would just follow the Franklin method 100% I have always had outstanding results using this method.

Comment

Lots of great info and vids as those above have said. I've cooked many, used many methods (almost all work). The biggest piece of advice is: It's done when it's done!! Use temps as a guide, but cook until the thickest part of the flat is probe tender. I always start very early, hoping for several hours of rest time for the finished brisket (and for me after it comes off the pit). It also gives you time to get to desired doneness if the stall gets long so you can be finished on time to eat when you want to.

Comment

Great advices from you all. I myself followed Meatheads' method. First 2 were done from WSM and the 3rd was from RT680. All with great results. The next one will be using Franklin's method. Best of luck.

Comment

What is the grade of brisket, lets start there. Yes it matters, I cook them differently.

Comment

• Xandera_7
              Xandera_7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not sure to be honest. Brisket is not easy to come by here, so I had to get what was available.

Love this thread. This weekend I'm planning on doing my first ever brisket. i've read meathead's article half a dozen times over the year to prepare but still feel like I'm not ready. Would you recommend injecting beef broth AND dry brining overnight or is that too much?

Good luck Xandrea, let us know how it turns out

Comment

• SMOG MAN
              SMOG MAN commented
              Editing a comment
              Pay attention to your total salt, dry brine and inject is often what I do but if your rub has salt and the beef broth has lots of salt you may end up with too much salt.

• Xandera_7
              Xandera_7 commented
              Editing a comment
              I plan on dry brining mine for a while. 24hrs at least. Inject before it hits the smoker

inject then dry brine. if select, inject flat with oil too. rub just befote smoke. smoke at 225 and crutch with foil and add a little beefr froth, unless prime or higher, then use butcher paper.

Comment

Howdy!
              I would be happy to help you with advice regarding how to:
              Prep, brine, sear, rub, smoke, test, wrap, rest, hold, and slice a packer beef brisket.
              -
              Awhile back, after reading a bit about BBQ competition, I realized that beef brisket was the hardest meat to do and get right, so I made up my mind to "Master" it before I "moved" on to anything else!

-
              I quickly discovered Aaron Franklin, and decided that HE was "THE MAN" and decided to copy his procedure and technique.
              So... I watched/hawked and copied all of his online brisket videos, as well as purchased his book.
              That book was great, but I went ahead and bought his DVD set as well, which were okay, but not as detailed nor informative as his book. (Trust me on this)
              -
              Basically, in Oct of 2016 I did my first two whole packer briskets in my 1st KBQ smoker, and got lucky as they were incredible per ALL of the eaters.
              I have now smoked nearly 200 total packers, adding a 2nd smoker to keep up with the increased customer demand.
              Currently the brisket requests are really overwhelming and truly hard for me to deal with.
              (I hate to keep running out of meat)
              I've also joined up with a local restaurant owner that is wanting me to help manage his new restaurant that is soon to open.
              -
              I am fully confident that I have brisket figured out as far as doneness and moistness of the flat, and am currently working very hard on finding higher quality beeves from various USA ranch sources.
              This is due to my desire to push my brisket quality to the "Next Level" as far as rich beefy flavor and umami.
              -
              The results I have at this time with choice and prime local commodity beef are consistently excellent per my many customers, but I am never satisfied... always wanting to make it a little bit better.
              -
              If you would like some basic brisket advice, please feel free to reply.
              -
              PLEASE NOTE:
              I have decided to stop posting advice in public due to those that simply want to make fun, argue and/or pick.
              My techniques may be unorthodox to some, but they turn out a great brisket, time after time, week after week, month after month with an ever growing customer base.
              -
              I am in Phoenix, Arizona where it is hot, and we do not desire to "save daylight" as we have all of the daylight we want
              I DO still work full time, but weekends are generally very free, as I sit outside watching the fire, and tending to the briskets as they smoke.
              Feel free to get back with me by Private Message.
              BBQ_Bill
              Last edited by BBQ_Bill; June 8, 2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here