Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to adjust salt levels for dry brining a brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to adjust salt levels for dry brining a brisket?

I've searched for dry brining and read all the brisket posts, but I can't find anything that says how to adjust the salt content (Kosher) when dry brining a brisket (1/2 t./lb give or take) and then using only a salt and pepper rub?
    I obviously don't want to overdo the salt, so could I just put the salt and pepper on it, put it in plastic wrap for 24-28 hours then just throw it on the smoker? Would you suggest an additional dusting of salt & pepper before starting to cook? Thanks.

Do the salt, then add the pepper right before you cook! I've found that 50% less sodium beef broth helps moderate salt too. Add it when you do the crutch.

Comment

i think that's because it's up to you. you could calculate the salt you need for the whole brisket and make the rub with that exact amount of salt and put it all on and the pepper will just go on with the salt when you brine. or you could put on half the salt as a brine and half as the rub. or you could do 1/4 and 3/4 either way, or 1/3 and 2/3. i'm not sure there's a right answer.

personally i would just do all the salt and pepper (the rub is the brine) a couple of days before hand and call it done.

Comment

Salt once, pepper once. Doesn’t matter when. It’s recommended that the salt be given time to penetrate, like overnight. The half teaspoon a pound is a good go by. Brisket is a thick piece of meat so don’t worry too much about over salting. Good luck !!

Comment

Thanks for the responses, just wanted to make sure not to overdo it.

So, second question: in order to keep the meat from drying out, I plan to "cut to order" when it's time to serve dinner.
          Borrowing from Aaron Franklin's process of "do you want lean or fatty", or words to that effect, I'm thinking that it's ok to find the place where the point overlaps the flat and cut there so I have a "flat section" and a "point/flat section" and then just slice to order from each piece depending on the persons preference? The first brisket I did, I sliced the whole flat, then turned it in the Sorkin method and did the point, so I know that contributed some to a little dryness. It never occurred to me to slice from a "lean" and a "fatty" part, but now it seems to make sense to me. I'd appreciate any advice as always.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here