Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Back Ribs: Peel - Yes/No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs: Peel - Yes/No?

After untold amounts of pork ribs this will be my first go at beef back ribs(not short). Since I have yet to open said ribs I assume there is a membrane, peel or no? Again I assume yes?

I've never peeled them and I have heard that peeling allows them to fall apart when smoked. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in.

Comment

Crosshatch the membrane. You could put a little oil on it to help it cook down a little more.... you get them smoked right then the meat will peel off the membrane with ease once done.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've never peeled, but then again I forget. Either way they're delicious.

Comment

I think Nate ‘s method is a good one, regardless leave the membrane on to keep the bones from falling off as said.

Comment

I peel them. If they fall off the bone, they are overdone! Still delicious, but overdone. If it’s so all fired important to pull the membrane off pork ribs (???), the membrane is even tougher on beef ribs so... A bitch to chew and can’t help but stop even S&P from reaching the meat!

Comment

I peeled last time right before I looked it up and read not to do it.

Comment

Someone on here pulled it off last week I think, and said the bones came right off with it. Which doesn’t happen with pork ribs.

Comment

I cooked some memorial weekend and peeled off the membrane cause I forgot if I did last time also. Then re read the article and it said don’t. Well know I know why. The 16 6 inch ribs were fine. (About 2 in thick). But I also did them to 8 12 inch long ones that were about 4 inches thick. (They had 2 layers of fat in them capped on top with a layer of meat). Well 3/4 of the way through cooking I noticed that the 12 in long ones were starting to slide and separate at the fat layer. When they were done the large Dino bone meat flipped on its side (I instantly laughed when I saw it cause it was the exact same thing when Fred flintstone ordered the ribs at the car hop and his whole care flipped on its side). But that was because I took the membrane off
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	E4FD57D9-F3F5-4389-AAB7-DCAC4B1FA6B0.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	509090

Right at that spot on the very bottom rib where you can see the bone is where it let loose and slid off. So now I have to remember to leave the membrane on. And it doesn’t affect anything at all
                  Attached Files

Comment

You had an opportunity to be a poet & not blow it, and ya blowed it. To peel or not to peel, ‘‘tis the question?
                    So, what did ya do yon feller.

Comment

I always peel. I find the membrane on beef ribs to be even tougher to eat. Just my personal preference when doing ribs.

Comment

don't peel.

Comment

I don't do beef ribs too often, so I'm no expert, but when I do I crosshatch like Nate said above.

Comment

don't peel, use hot sauce as a binder. Whatever you like on either your ribeyes, or your brisket as a rub. Wet smoke until tender. They take much less time than plate ribs.

Comment

RonB hit it right, first time! Totally agree, never peel mine, although I do let folks know it's there when they tear in.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here