Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which steaks should I make this weekend? (Decisions, decisions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which steaks should I make this weekend? (Decisions, decisions)

Remember back in January, when SRF had that half price sale?

Now that grilling season is here, I get to use the stuff in the freezer. The choices:

Black grade ribeye cap
    A couple flatirons
    Tri-tip
    Teres Major

The ribeye cap stands out, but the weather this weekend is going to be lousy. I'd rather have that be the centerpiece of a perfect evening.

The flatirons are a perfect size, but kind of boring (as if steak could be boring!)

The tri-tip and the teres major both intrigue me, they are different from each other, and foreign to me. I had tri-tip once and it was fantastic.

I'm leaning toward the tri-tip, but, being a social person by nature, I throw my decision to the crowd!

The only one on the list I have not made personally are the flatirons, I think with a good chimicurri and cooked right they could be awesome. Used to be muy popular but hey, love the tri-tips as well !!! I've got a Crowd Cow one I need to cook soon !!! I'll vote tri-tip, seems you are leaning in that direction Mosca

Comment

Can't go wrong with a TT. Consider sous vide if that's something you do. S&P with a dusting of garlic powder is all they need, but Montreal Steak seasoning is nice too. I have a Santa Maria rub I use as well and there are several online recipes. Fair warning though, you could become addicted to tri tip!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        And don't forget the beans!

Love TriTip. Eat lots of that here in La-La land. I reverse sear. Low and slow to IT of 120 then over a nuclear fire to sear off. Yum.
      Last edited by PappyBBQ; May 30, 2018, 10:45 AM. Reason: Fix spelling

Comment

I'm going with CaptainMike on this one. Tri-Tip SV'd than seared. I've only had 1 also from SRF and it was FANTASTIC!!!!

Comment

I have my Crowd Cow tri tip in the fridge thawing for this weekend. So, I’m suggesting that like others have! And, I love cooking these a Santa Maria rub over coals ( I don’t have the set up for true Santa Maria grilling). Enjoy whatever you go with!

Comment

I cooked a tri tip on Monday, so it's kismet!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Kismet is a town in Florida, right?

• ComfortablyNumb
              ComfortablyNumb commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike I wouldn't know, never been to Florida albeit married for 38 years to a Florida native. I told her when we got married that I don't like heat and humidity, so don't ever expect me to go, and I never have.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm sure she said "just Kissimmee and shut up"

Looks like, tri tip!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Excellent. When should we bring our appetites? ;-)

• ComfortablyNumb
              Editing a comment
              Seriously (and I am rarely) have a great cook and enjoy.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Does seriously mean medium rarely in your case?

Tri tip all the way. Tri tip is actually really good if you smoke at 225 all the way up to 195* as well. If you wanted to try something different on it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4717.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	508242

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe not the first one.

tri tip. coat in Worcestershire sauce, then rub with Montreal steak seasoning. finish with a little chili and cumin.

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike door is open. Tequila is usually not stocked, but there is plenty of bourbon and scotch! Be sure to bring some of that crab!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, mountain boy here and there's only one kind of crab you can get when you live at 4,000', but I'll do what I can.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              CaptainMike then you will feel right at home with a glass of bourbon, a plate of beef ribs, smoked mac and cheese, cowboy beans, potato salad, and blueberry brownies. Let me know when and that will be the menue.

Hard to go against a ribeye cap!

Comment

That ribeye cap would be long gone around my place!

Comment

Humm, I have finished all my half price load I got from SRF. Dang wish they would do that again soon! I will have to say that my new go-to steak is the Teres Major. Hand's down. I can not wait to get more! Love me some TT's but I can get them dang nice at my local HEB.

Comment

Given th Great Beef yer startin with, yer availabilty of cooker, an yer consumate skills...
                  Reckon all I can answer is "Perfect Steaks"
                  Best wishes, amigo, fer a better than ya best expected cook!
                  PLS keep us in th loop?

Comment

Save the cap. Go with the tri tip. I'm throwing 2 in the KBQ this weekend. We have a birthday party (generally turns into a potluck), and leftovers will be added to my salad for work next week...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here