Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may be smoking my first prime rib this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may be smoking my first prime rib this weekend.

The plans are not firmed up yet, but it may happen. I'm not worried about the cook, but I don't know how people will want their meat. It could be anywhere from rare to well done, (yea, I know, but these people are friends of my wife although I have met them a time or two). So how would you do it? Cook to rare and then low and slow or hot and fast to raise the temp for those who don't want rare. Or is there another way? I could microwave for those who want well done... (Where's the evil grin emoticon when I need it??)

I suppose I could cut the roast into halves or thirds and cook each piece to temp...

Just have some tofu on hand for anyone who doesn't like the way you cooked it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Hehehe

• PopsBBQ
      PopsBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That is brilliant! I will have to remember that one.

Cut in half. Cook one to rare and the other to whatever temp satisfies another majority. Don't forget the 4 ends will be slightly more done and a quick sear gives more crust to the party.

Comment

I was going to suggest something so similar to Jerod's advice it's uncanny. I think he's spying on me.

Comment

There is no such thing as rare brisket, not when you cook it to probe tender at anywhere from 195F - 205F. Don't even THINK about rare, medium rare, medium, etc. Smoke it right and tell anyone who doesn't like it to give it to your dogs and not come back.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Prime rib.

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Now there you go making me have change my post! Cook it rare to medium rare and tell anyone who doesn't like to feed it to the dogs and not come back!

Cook it to med rare. When your guests arrive take their orders. Then slice off a hunk if they want well and cook hot and fast It’s better to cook up cause ya can’t take it back down. Sorta like salt. Ya can add it but can’t take it back.

Comment

• PappyBBQ
          PappyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup!

Cook to med rare. as Nuke em said. take their orders. Slice and run the slices on the grill to desired doness and serve.

Comment

My question is RonB do you not have friends or family members who don’t like like rare or medium rare meat.

Comment

A quick trip to the microwave will make the pink go away without drying it out severely. That’s what I do if someone won’t abide pink meat.

Comment

• ssandy_561
              ssandy_561 commented
              Editing a comment
              😭😭😭

Yep. Find out who likes ruined meat and slice them off theirs and throw on the grill. I've had to do that for my mom.

Comment

Hey boftx, how about a slice of my RARE QVQ brisket......

Click image for larger version

Name:	SV brisket drape.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	508168

Comment

• boftx
                boftx commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks nice, what was the temp?

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Never got above 135*. Went 50 hours in the bath, pre and post smoke added maybe 4 more. Not my favorite to do brisket, but not bad !!

The wife and I have had "discussions" about this. I think in this case, she's right: don't do the low temp followed by the fast hot sear for more uniform cooking. Instead do it conventionally at a moderate temp to medium rare, then sear it. You'll get a gradation of doneness to please every preference.

Comment

Thanx all for the comments and suggestions. I'm hoping my wife can get the info from the guests. The weather guesser is calling for heavy rain, and I just found out I have a funeral to attend. I'm supposed to be a pallbearer, so I'm guessing it's not my funeral. I'm hoping to be home by 2PM, but I'm not at all sure that can happen.

So absent the info about how people like their beef, I plan on cutting the PR in half and going with med rare and med, or maybe rare and med rare...

Comment

My suggestion is to take it out at 125 and let it rest. The ends will be done more than the rare middle cuts, so that will satisfy the med-medium well guests. I cook prime rib every day at work. Just not in a smoker. My .02
                  Last edited by smoken; May 30, 2018, 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

cook rare. If they want past that slap their slice back on the grill for a it until it gets to their desired doneness.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here