Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide Chuck weekend project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide Chuck weekend project

I wanted to try sous vide and smoking some beef, I have been reading all the posts about it that I see. I chose smoke-sous vide-smoke approach.
    I started with a 3 lb chuck roast that was about 3 inches thick. Dry brined overnight in the fridge, rubbed with bbbr and put in the stickburner with red oak at 225-250. I planned on about 4 hours. Turned into a 6 hour cook as errands took longer than expected. Returned home to IT of 139deg. Vacuum sealed and put into sous vide bath @ 155 for 22 hours. After a couple hours my wife told me that a bluebird was trying to nest in my smoker. I saw the male bird flying to the chimney of my cooker a couple times and the fire was not completely out yet.
    Since the cook was going to be running until the next day, I built a bluebird house in hopes of attracting them to it instead of my smoker. Within an hour of putting it up they were investigating the new house.
    Day 2 - I watched them carry nesting material from the yard to the bird house.
    Chuck roast came out of bath at noon. Ice bath for a quick cool down. I lit an oak fire again and shot for a pit temp of 300-350 for a quick heat without a stall.
    Worked like a charm-steady IT temp rise to 195. The first time I used a Christmas gift of Webber Igrill with 2 probes. The graph shows a perfect steady climb. Click image for larger version

Name:	DFC0CDA4-055B-4CEE-8047-F6BBB68D14F0.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	507339
    Now for the good stuff-pics of the meal. Click image for larger version

Name:	97830CDA-FB5E-4FC4-AF0E-BC2AA75F0CA5.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	507344
    thin blue smoke @ 305 deg.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	951F94AE-7098-45EC-B26E-BDBD5C7910D3.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	507340
    Bluebirds new home.

Name:	9650ED94-6675-4313-84A0-0CD9DF3E61E2.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	507342

Bark on chuck!

Name:	1AC02E0E-B6C7-4DB9-A535-1CFDF44BE584.jpeg
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	507341
    Sliced on the bacon slicer.

Name:	DD4A3932-69AA-44B6-AE0D-A366679EF5F3.jpeg
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	507343
    Salad that my wife made with homegrown lettuce and out house cured bacon.

Name:	A51A8543-6CF1-4FDC-977F-DE88E4D2EEB1.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	507345
    Plated. Turned out very much like brisket. And lots of leftovers for the lunchbox this week.
    Attached Files

Looks great. I can almost smell it!

Comment

Nice work! Cool story throwing the bluebird adventures in there. Glad it didn't turn into 'thin bluebird smoke'.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      I wasn't able to get a pic of the birds, they stayed a little to far for them to show up in a photo. They just appeared at our place on Sunday.

Nice bird house and diner even looks better

Comment

That looks like a winner.

Comment

Beautiful pictures. Gorgeous stick burner. Great looking food. How can you beat that??? Well done sir!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I have a tendency to build things - homemade stick burner.

What fun cook! We would call that thing on your fence a cat feeder around here.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife's dog keeps the cats far enough away that the birds will be safe there.

Had a problem with mud daubers in one of mine. Hadn't used it in a while, they built a nest inside the top of the stack. Man they were pissed when I fired that puppy up. Anyway, glad your birds found a new home. Good job on the chuckie !!!

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
      Oakgrovebacon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Troutman!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here