Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on Shoulder Clod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on Shoulder Clod?

Toying with the idea of doing a shoulder clod for the 4th. Done the research and seen there are basically pulled and sliced camps out there. Going to do a few briskets and some butts so will have both sliced and pulled meats as it is. Just looking for some advice. Was planning on doing it like a brisket, take it to about 195 and wrap/cambro until ready to serve. Worst case l'll just let the meat tell me what to do with it. Regardless any pointers or voices of experience would be welcomed

I've done 1, so take my advice for what it's worth. I did mine low and slow, and for that piece of meat it was not the right choice. It was a little too lean for that approach, so turned out dry in parts. It wasn't horrible, but not as good as it could have been. So, as you say, let the meat tell you what to do with it. If you are committed to a path, make sure you get a custom-selected cut of meat for that method. Otherwise, inspect the meat once you have it and decide based on how marbled it is and how much connective tissue it has.

Comment

I think cooking it like brisket is the way to go, but how many people are you feeding? A full clod is huge. Be prepared for a 20 hour cook. Thickness determines cook time. A clod is a lot thicker than a than a 10# Boston Butt. Clods weigh in at over 25#s. Have fun! A clod is a great tasting piece of meat.

Comment

• sfrancis353
        sfrancis353 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure. It's probably going to be between 50-100 people. I will also just freeze the leftovers for sandwiches and chili. I'm also doing butts/brisket/chicken I know it'll probably be overkill be also looking for an excuse to do one

Ive done a whole chuck roll twice which i would expect to be simular to a shoulder clod. I cook like brisket and then shred. Always very good. If you cook at 225 Id budget time. A 30 lb chuck roll took me about 30 hrs and I wrapped around 165. Also if you do shred i recommend collecting the drippings and mixing that in as you shred.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161009_120538.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	503535Click image for larger version

Name:	20170324_142850.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	503536Click image for larger version

Name:	20170326_181022.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	503537 Found some pictures

Comment

cook just like a brisket, but inject the crap outta it. also inject with some canola oil. Crutch around 165 with foil with about a 1/2 cup of beef broth. once temp is hit, remove from foil, add back to pit to tighten up bark. When bark is back where you want it, wrap again and hold.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here