Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mothers day cook: SRF american wagyu brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bet its gonna be gooood !!! I just got a crummy old Prime 1 on the WSM about 3 hours in. Oh well, we'll both be eaten brisket today !!!

Comment

Came out pretty damn amazing. Total cook time was about 14 hours until it reached prob tender. Regardless of whether ever do another SRF wagyu or just costco brisket i will def wrap later. did it early here because i really thought i was gonna run out of propane. So there wasnt a ton of bark. Also, as you can see, still no real smoke ring at all on the smoke vault.

the main thing is the family all loved it AND we have left overs!
      Attached Files

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF yeah i dont really care about the smoke ring, flavor and texture is much more important. Its more of a curiosity at this point. When i low and slow on the kettle the smoke ring is very prominent. Ive basically never got one on the smoke vault.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Got to love it when that big slab o meat is done and is still to big for the cutting board!

• gmascolo51
        gmascolo51 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks awesome! Did the security guard get any?

Looks delish! Congrats on a good cook and on making your family happy. Win-win.

Kathryn

Comment

In retrospect i think i actually overcooked it. Dont get me wrong, it was still really good. Im forever plagued by the brisket i had at lewis bbq in Charleston, sc. trying to make brisket like that is like chasing the proverbial pink dragon

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Just curious why you thought you overcooked it. Looks like it came out really nice.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman Im probably just second guessing myself. It did come out awesome, i was just worried that when i checked it at 191 and was literally butter i probably could have taken it off earlier. And like i said above, i have yet to even come close to a brisket that is anything like what you get at the best BBQ places. Probably an unrealistic goal i know, but still.
          Last edited by grantgallagher; May 15, 2018, 07:56 AM.

I'm wondering about your cutting technique? Looking at the done pic, it doesn't look optimally cut against the grain, which would maximize the perceived tenderness of the slices. Was this part of what made you think you overcooked it? Did it seem not tough, but chewy, hard to pull apart? Just wondering, because using the proper slicing technique for a full packer is important.

Comment

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          DogFaced PonySoldier i thought i did it right...one way for the flat then rotate it for the point but this was only my 3rd brisket. It wasnt chewy and it passed the pull test just fine but obviously if i did it wrong then id like to correct that.

Looks good to me now I really want to thaw mine and get cooking! I made a Teres Major from SRF last Saturday and it was amazing! Love SRF stuff!

Comment

• JoeSousa
          JoeSousa commented
          Editing a comment
          I had their teres major a couple weeks back and it was excellent. Then a few days ago I actually saw some in the grocery store and tried them. They were still good but no comparison to the SRF ones.

Nice!

Comment

Looks great. I need to get a SRF brisket again soon. I have done 3 in the past and they are always amazing.

Comment

grantgallagher , do you think it was worth the extra $$ for the SRF over a prime?

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              JakeT Dont know that ive ever done a prime. My other 2 briskets have been from Dartagnan which i think is equivalent to Choice-Plus...this blew them away.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here