Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak advise needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak advise needed

Ok, so I get a pleasant text yesterday from a friend who's neighbor is a meat purveyor or owns a farm and constantly drops meat over. Says he has some rib steaks for me so here is what he brought see attached pic. So I have about 7 steaks about 1 1/2 inches thick. What should I do, meat is pretty marbled, I think he said it was Kobe.

1. Can I dry age an individual steak with those Umai dry bags or better served with an intact roast?

2. Sous vide them and then sear.

3. Indirect on the SnS and then sear?

Attached Files

I'm no expert - not even close, but when I see the process of dry aging, it dries the surface to the point that it must be removed. With steaks only 1.5" thick, I think you would loose too much meat if you dry aged them. Great lookin' steaks BTW.

Comment

Wow! Someone gave you one helluva gift!!! Those sure do look like Wagyu, that marbling is incredible, and WAY beyond what you see with most Prime cuts. Hell, ANY Prime cut I'VE ever seen!

Hot and fast, minimal seasoning, that's what I've seen, watched and read.

Congrats!

<edit> Oh and whoever gave you those needs a real nice thank you present!

Comment

• boftx
        boftx commented
        Editing a comment
        Hot and Fast?!? ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Those call for a SLOW smoke to about 120F then a screaming hot sear to reach 130F. Let carry over take them to a perfect 135F.

• dirtman
        dirtman commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree slow cook to 115 and then finish hot. I wouldn’t want mine to exceed medium rare. Those are high grade steaks!

As someone who has dry-aged several roasts, I wouldn't do it with individual steaks. You'd be setting yourself up for too much waste. Looking at the marbling on those from the pics, I probably wouldn't SV them either. And as far as reverse sear goes, I'd keep the indirect phase pretty tightly bounded. You could drop them off at my house, and I'd figure it out! ;-)

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Need a helper?

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, gmascolo51 lives within 5 miles of me, so it's up to him/her!

They are most definitely Wagyu. Looks gorgeous. I need a friend like him! I have looked into home aging and what i have found is that you cannot dry age individual steaks. Check this out, it explains how to home age.

Comment

Those look awfully fatty!!!
        I'll not only pay postage to my house, but replace em with CAB Choice from HV !
        Jus sayin, worried bout yer arteries, an such!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 10, 2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I'm worrying about them arteries too!

• gmascolo51
          gmascolo51 commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF you are close enough we could potentially clog your arteries as well!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, we could probably figure out how to do that! gmascolo51

I just weighed them and he brought 13 lbs of steak . If my calculations are correct that's a pretty penny's worth of meat. I told him I would have him over and we would cook them over a couple glasses of some nice scotch. I am thinking of trying one or two in the cast iron pan nice and hot and some on the slow and sear. Once I do this I'll post some pics.

Comment

• JakeT
          JakeT commented
          Editing a comment
          Considering they look like wagyu, if you try to sear them over fire the flare ups will be insane. I have a wagyu strip loin cut into individuals right now, my favorite method is just a screamin' hot CI pan sear both sides, then season with some Fleur de sel and pepper. Bon apetit!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a portable TEC infrared grill that won't have flare-up issues. But I'd still be torn between that and doing it in a pan.

Do brother! These babies look absolutely fantastic! This is so close the Wagyu it must be. Hot and fast. Watch some good vids out there on cooking Wagyu. Thin slices, looks delish! One thing that does concern me is the packaging. If you have all the others frozen. possibly transfer them to some vacuum bags. Lot's if ice crystals I see in these bags with air. Freeze them air tight. Don't want to see these babies freezer burnt. And do post up some pics! Say, does your friend need more friends?

Comment

• gmascolo51
          gmascolo51 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point I will vacuum pack them, as I don't think I'll get to make them this weekend unfortunately.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          lonnie mac when you say thin slices, do you mean before or after cooking? Like I said, I have no experience with these.

I would agree with lonnie mac get those bad boys in a vac bag.
        Also I’m questioning why not SV then fast hot sear that is the only way I cook steaks anymore EdF? However I’ve never had any wagu marbling like that so I’d probably go that way and really screw them up?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't cooked meat with the kind of fat content I'm seeing in those. But my fear would be to render out too much that is probably best appreciated partially cooked. That was my thinking with that comment.

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          You can SV Wagyu. I have seen a comparison or two claiming traditional is better for Wagyu in any case. I too would worry about rendering the butter out of these babies, cuz that's about how fast it melts.

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! If I ever have a friend hook me up with wagu quality steaks, now I’ll know what not to do that I would have done.

lonnie mac what he said!!! Put you mind at ease. Easy peasy.

Screaming hot cast iron, sizzle and eat. Small dice (1/4 X1/4x1/4) some taters and throw them in after.

And kiss that man too!!

Comment

• boftx
          boftx commented
          Editing a comment
          Please, PLEASE slow-smoke THEN put them in the screaming hot CI.

Just vacuum packed them. I just got the machine so only had the roll which was included had to trim a tiny bit off a couple of the steaks to get them to fit. Threw the cast iron pan on the BBQ and those small bits were quite tasty can't wait to try a full piece. I even saved a couple bites for the wife.
        Attached Files

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          You did GOOD brother!

Disregard all of the previous posts.

Keep them frozen and ship them to me.
        PM me and I will give you my address.

I know someone has to step up and help a brother who’s in need of assistance.
        I’m here for you. 😁

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          You're close enough to where he lives that you can share them live!

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a "Giver" you are st Steve.

My gawd give the guy my contact information and I'll take care of the rest. Dude, you won the lotto....

Comment

I remember Alton Brown in an episode of Good Eats showing how to dry age a porterhouse steak.

I have not tried this method myself so I can't provide any feedback. Your steaks look incredible. Enjoy!

Comment

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            From everything I have read AB's method does have some effect but not that much. Besides, it is basically a dry-brine for 4 days instead of 24 hours. (And yes, I am a BIG fan of AB!)

• lonnie mac
            lonnie mac commented
            Editing a comment
            boftx I agree. I have tried AB's dry aging method way more than a time or two. I notice no differences really. True dry aging doesn't really even start until a few weeks later where you would even notice changes. And I do LOVE AB!

All bad advice. Send those to me for inspection. Let me confirm whether they are Kobe or not. I'll have to cook them all for the test.

Salt and pepper right away. Sous Vide and sear over mesquite log fire.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here