Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket - Dry Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket - Dry Brine

When I do my briskets I apply Oakridge's Black Ops on the night before. I'm smoking one for Mother's Day and I'm going to dry brine (kosher salt only) the night before then the next morning apply the Black Ops.
    I checked with Oakridge on this technique to see if the salt content in the Black Ops was too much for the dry brine first. They said it was a good idea since the salt content was not enough for a dry brine.
    Any thoughts?
    Last edited by CRO; May 10, 2018, 04:06 PM.

I agree. Dry brine first, then apply Oakridge rub. There’s not too much salt in the rub, so you’ll be fine. And like they say: using only their rub is not enough (dry brining wise).

Comment

Believe it or not I'm dry brining one tonight to cook this weekend and will be applying Black Ops. Agreed, on this big a piece of meat you won't over salt.

Comment

Have you guys used the black ops rub before? Does it make a huge difference over just s&p?

Comment

• CRO
          CRO commented
          Editing a comment
          I mostly use it. Great flavor profile, a bit of a bite to it...on the bark.

I use their pork rub..............unbelievable!!

Comment

I bought the Black Ops rub to try out, since I've determined I just don't care for the S&P or SPG rub - just too peppery. But I can't convince my wife it's time to do another brisket, yet! UGH!

Comment

Just ordered some black ops rub, added in the pork rub too cause...why not?

Comment

The old double salt jepordy, but sounds like the salt content in the rub is low enough!

Comment

Never used the stuff, so I can't comment. The only two commercial rubs that I can recommend (basically the only two I have used and liked) are John Henrys and Butt Rub. Both have enough salt in them that I wouldn't dry brine first. Just inject, rub (let the rub sit overnight to dry brine in the included salt) and smoke.

Comment

Black Ops like all of the stuff Oak Ridge puts out is awesome. I wish the Black Ops was a coarser grind though. I like coarser ground rubs for meats that cook long like briskets and butts.
                  Another excellent brisket rub is from The Spice House called Brisket Of Love. Excellent stuff and a coarser grind. I was using this before I discovered Black Ops. Right now I'm out of Black Ops I may go back to Brisket Of Love for awhile just to change things up.

Comment

Black Ops is good. I'm still more into BBBR, however!

Comment

Black Ops is my favorite brisket rub. Well....that and the Dalmation rub.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here