Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking my first plunge into the pastrami pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking my first plunge into the pastrami pool

Started the process of making Clint Cantwell Sous-vide-que Pastrami this morning. Bought a 3.5 pound pickled brisket from a local butcher that makes about 100 pounds a week. I figured ONE new thing was good enough - maybe I'll pickle it myself next time.

Its desalinating in the fridge right now and will head for the sous vide bath tonight. Sunday supper will be Reubens and fries. My wife thinks I'm nuts starting something on Thursday that will be supper on Sunday. I'm sure she'll change her mind when she tastes it!

Looking forward to this one!

I would take a look at Polarbear777 's write up on QVQ Pastrami. I believe it to be much better than Mr. Cantwell's recipe...just sayin' ....

Comment

You are going to love that. Pastrami is bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by andy.wpg View Post
        Started the process of making Clint Cantwell Sous-vide-que Pastrami this morning. Bought a 3.5 pound pickled brisket from a local butcher that makes about 100 pounds a week. I figured ONE new thing was good enough - maybe I'll pickle it myself next time.

Its desalinating in the fridge right now and will head for the sous vide bath tonight. Sunday supper will be Reubens and fries. My wife thinks I'm nuts starting something on Thursday that will be supper on Sunday. I'm sure she'll change her mind when she tastes it!

Looking forward to this one!
        I'm sure she will. But to guzzy it up, you may want to go right to the Reuben. There's a recipe in the open part of the site - just replace the corned beef with the pastrami. Nothing finer!

Comment

• OSB
          OSB commented
          Editing a comment
          That's how I make mine Ed. Its ridiculous.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed, OSB!

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
        I would take a look at Polarbear777 's write up on QVQ Pastrami. I believe it to be much better than Mr. Cantwell's recipe...just sayin' ....
        Thanks for that. Since I’ve never made pastrami before, I would like to make both. That way we can decide which we like better.

im going to make Mr Cantwell’s this time and the one you speak of next time. Another excuse to cook!

Comment

You will never look at store-bought pastrami the same. Don't even get me started on homemade bacon!

Comment

• andy.wpg
            andy.wpg commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, I have made Meathead’s AR bacon a few times, and quite agree with you!

I haven’t bought bacon at the store since I made my first batch a few years ago. Enjoy The pastrami! You will be hooked.

Comment

• andy.wpg
            andy.wpg commented
            Editing a comment
            It comes out of the sous vide in about an hour. I can’t wait for tomorrow.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here