Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full brisket AND no foil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full brisket AND no foil

Morning all,

I'm going to attempt to cook a brisket OVERNIGHT in my WSM. Since the purchase of my new Auber 2615, I feel confident I can get the temp to hold steady through the night. Before attempting anything new with such a fine piece of Prime meat, I'd like tips, suggestions, or just good ol' fashioned help. I've never tried cooking a brisket without foil.

1. How long should it take? I think 18-20 hours.
    2. I'm going to use Soo's 250 temp and start spritzing in the morning.
    3. It's a wet weekend in south Florida and humidity will be high.
    4. Since this is such a long cook, I' know I'll have to add fuel. Any tips on adding bricks?
    5. The Auber pushes air into the WSM and the coals directly in front of that particular vent get used. What's the best way to move unlit coals around? There isn't a lot of room through the door to see what's happening. Do you take the barrel off of the bottom?
    6. Has anyone tried putting the entire 15 lb bag of Kingman into the smoker?

Thanks for the input.

1 The cook wont take that long
    You didn’t say what size brisket you had
    2 225 300 whatever the cooker likes
    We cook brisket at 275 to 325
    3 ok
    4 add fuel by using the door as a ramp to slide more charcoal in
    5No
    6 don’t use the whole bag
    fill the ring add as needed
    7 why no foil ? There is nothing weak about using foil as a tool
    We are wrapping in red paper these days Saves the bark
    The goal is tender beef on your guests plate right?

Comment

12 lb brisket before I trimmed it. I didn't want to use foil because I thought my bark would get better. Thinking longer and slower cook, versus speeding up with foil.

Comment

• Thom Emery
        Thom Emery commented
        Editing a comment
        OK What grade is it?
        Select or Choice its really helps your moisture retention to wrap
        Heavy paper like a shopping bag will get you there also and retain most of your bark
        Last thing you want
        Dry ol boot brisket
        ;0)
        Enjoy my Brother
        Besides the liquid in the wrap is GREAT for swimming the slices in before you plate it
        Last edited by Thom Emery; May 5, 2018, 08:01 AM.

Assuming it's a normal sized brisket, I don't think it will take 18-20 hrs. Maybe 12-15 depending what temp you cook at. I usually go around 250 or so and I do usually foil mine.

For adding fuel in the WSM, I ordered a fireplace shovel and I use that. It's designed to scoop ash out of a fireplace, but it's perfect size for adding fresh coals to the wsm. They're on amazon for about $10-15

Comment

It's prime cut

Comment

I’ve done full with no wrap at 225F. Takes a solid 15-16 hours, plus cambro holding time.

Nornal cook with a wrap near hour 8-9, it’s ready for cambro around 11-12 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Polarbear777 View Post
            I’ve done full with no wrap at 225F. Takes a solid 15-16 hours, plus cambro holding time.

Nornal cook with a wrap near hour 8-9, it’s ready for cambro around 11-12 hours
            Any benefit to not wrapping?

Comment

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              If you like hard shard-like bark, yes. I usually wrap because it can get dry and I like a good chewy bark but not crispy.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here