Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally perfected my reverse sear technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally perfected my reverse sear technique

... with the SnS. Two previous attempts had left me scratching my head at the end. Either not enough fuel to start or not enough fuel to end. My last pork chops were cooked all the way, but it was more like baked than grilled, so no crust and no grill marks. Disappointing - I forgot about the 2nd load of hot coals to finish them off and the half-full SnS with dying coals wasn't enough to get a good sear on them. So this time I decided I'd go over on both, and if I had coals left at the end, I'd save them for the next cook, so I lit a 3/4 chimney to start (probably a little warm for the low and slow reverse sear, but I had two different thicknesses of steak, so the fast version was ok.

It only took about 15 minutes for the steaks to get to 80 degrees except for this one pictured, took a little longer. I just moved it close to the SnS while I seared the other two thinner steaks. For the final sear, I stirred the coals to get the ash out of the airway, and dumped somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 bucket on top of the mostly full SNS to get a screaming hot sear zone then opened the vents all the way. This bad boy NY Strip was perfect. If I could change one thing, I would have dry brined it a little longer than I did and put more salt and pepper on it before cooking.

Also, I bought the Kingsford Mesquite variety while at the grocery store to see if I liked it better... no discernible difference for me. It smelled a little better when starting up, but otherwise no difference on the cook. There was a LOT of coal left. I definitely overdid it, but better that, than having a cold fire to finish off the reverse sear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	steak.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	493492
    Last edited by Buck Flicks; May 2, 2018, 10:35 AM.

Pic not showing ... but it SOUNDS like it was great ...

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Buck Flicks, Same As Mbm Here❗️ Dan

Congrats on getting it right. Remember, you don't have to sear immediately after the "slow". You can hold until each hunk is ready and then sear. You might want to go a little higher on the first to get ready because the temp will drop during the hold.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup ...

• Buck Flicks
      Buck Flicks commented
      Editing a comment
      That's essentially what I did - the NY strip was in a hold with a very slight temp gain while the thinner ribeyes were getting their sear. Wife likes thinner, more done steaks and I like thicker mid/rare steaks so the timing was pretty spot on. Neither steak rested more than 3-4 minutes while I was getting the taters out of the oven, and they didn't leak any more than 1/4 teaspoon of juice.

Nice learning experience. A happy ending too.

Comment

Picture still not showing? It's showing up for me.

How about now? Deleted/reloaded the picture.

Comment

I see it, and it looks delicious!

Comment

Great grill marks!

Comment

Henrik, I Want To Invite You To Join My iCloud Shared Post on The Upcoming Ace Hdw's BBQ FEST ON SATURDAY 5 May 2018❗️
            I Can Add You To The List If I Have Your Personal eMail Address For Some Reason P - Ming Isn't Wotking❓ raywjohnson Is Trying To Straighten It Out For Everone‼️ Basically It Begin's :
            HELP, S - V CUE: TRIAL RUN, PORK BUTT fo Ace Hdw's BBQ FEST‼️ Strictly a LOW RENT AFFAIR If They Consider ME an EXPERT❓❓❓ Dan
            Danny Johnston Ph. #: 701-200-2319, eMail: [email protected]

1410 9th St N
            Fargo ND 58102

Comment

Real nice I’m loving SNS

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here