Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Ever Chuck Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Ever Chuck Roast

The roast went on the smoker about 7 a.m. (I had some trouble getting the smoker up to heat.) It's almost 6 hours and it's solidly in the stall at 152°F where is been for over an hour. Here are pics from before the cook:

​​​

​
    Last edited by Dewesq55; April 29, 2018, 11:33 AM.

Im doing my first right now as well. Mine stalled at 145. Pulled it and wrapped in butcher paper. Btw, your pics arent loading for me.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      You've heard of the one that got away? Well that pic is the one that DIDN'T get away. Lol!

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha. I was down in NC fishing in the gulfstream for tuna recently. Had one almost pull me overboard. 5 seconds of slack line and it was gone. So yeah, ive heard of the one that got away, lol.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      That striper in the photo was caught in the surf of of the Virgina side of Assateague Island. I caught a couple decent yellowfin off shore out of Chincoteague quite a few years ago.

Try making an adjustment to your photos any small edit or change., they are not coming thru. This sometimes happens and all will look ok on your end but we won't be able to see it.

grantgallagher I cooked my chuck and pork yesterday 4.5 hours. You can bump up the heat and blow right through the stall. It's in the SUWYAC thread. Chuckies are awesome. I'm looking forward to your photos.

Comment

Trying again on the pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180428_172826.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	491569

Name:	IMG_20180429_061041.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	491570

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Got pics here, now!
        Thanks, looks Great!
        Have a great cook, amigo!

Looking awesome!

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. It was kinda floppy so I had to tie it. Uncharacteristically, it's been just about 7 hours and I haven't peeked once, so I don't know if the string held up.

The Fireboard driver and fan had done a much better job at keeping the temps fairly even than I could ever do on own, although not perfect. I find I have to go sit the fire every 30-45 minutes for the fan to work. That's what the periodic deep trenches are in the attached screen shot.

Name:	Screenshot_20180429-135700.png
Views:	104
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	491583

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great from here! Don't sweat those kinds of pit temp differences.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sweating them at all EdF. Like I said, I couldn't have done half as good a job at keeping relatively consistent temps on own. I'm very happy with it.

Great looking piece of meat, appears you cooked it just right!!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

So, I pulled it at 180°, wrapped it really well and put it in the faux 'bro. It's been in there an hour so far and will probably be there closer to another hour before we eat. After an hour in the Cambro, carryover had brought the IT up to 184°. I will take pics when I unwrap it. I'm a little worried about fine ash. It seems to be on everything in the cookbox. Does anybody think it will be a good idea to rinse it before slicing? The plan is to slice it and put on rolls with some raw onion and Heinz Texas BBQ sauce.

Comment

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            ive never really thought about it before but my gut says DO NOT rinse, lol.

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            I wouldn’t unless the ash is real heavy on it.

So, this was a righteous dinner. The Boss didn't even notice the ash (and I didn't tell her?) When I wrapped the chuckie @160°, i put a few ounces of homemade been broth in the package. This turned out to be a good thing. After slicing, I dipped the slices in the collected "juice" before putting them on the rolls. I put a slice of provolone on each sammy and stuck them briefly under the broiler to melt the cheese. The Heinz Texas Bold and Spicy sauce was excellent on this. Here are the pics

Name:	IMG_20180429_183525.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	491908

Name:	IMG_20180429_183752.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	491909

Name:	IMG_20180429_184720.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	491910

Comment

yes yes and yes.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Grant. Yours came out very nice based on the pics, as well.

Looks fabulous!

Comment

Great lookin Chuckie, nice job, amigo!

Comment

Great looking Cook.

Comment

Awesome Chuck Roast!! Good job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here