Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time smoker chuck roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time smoker chuck roast

Dry brined over night and then rubbed this morning with a variation on meatheads big bad beef. Currently in the smoke vault around 250. Planning on wrapping with paper when it stalls and has a decent bark. When its probe tender i will faux cambro it till the wife and kid get home. Going to shred it and cook up some peppers and onions to go with.

Fingers crossed
    Attached Files

Oh yeah! It’s going to be good.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Hopefully. Been a bunch of threads here recently on chuck roast so picked up most of the advice from there. Thanks to all who contributed!

You are set for a great meal. Are you gonna have any cheese for the sammies?

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha! I just ran to the store for Portuguese rolls and provolone for mine!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Possible Motivator:
      Lemme ask ya this: Is there a Liquor Store, 'tween ya, an th Grocery?

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha. All set on that front. Sipping on some jamie black barrel just now before i fire up the lawn mower and actually be productive.

Ya got this, Amigo; Makin all th Right Moves!
    A pan o Pit Beans underneath yer Chuckie will catch th juices, an ease cleanup...
    Jus sayin...

Smoke (Vault) On!

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm doing that next time!,

Stalled at 145. Pulled it and wrapped it in butcher paper. Didnt quite have the bark but considerin its getting shredded its not that big a deal.

Something ive definitely noticed with the smoke vault. Harder to get that nice bark than i would have thought.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      F I'm following David Parrish 's advice and not wrapping until it gets to 170°F. Hopefully that will give the bark a chance to set.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great for 145°

Lookin Good, brother!
    More bark than I woulda expected @ 145°...mebbe wrap a bit later is worth a try?
    I dunno, I don't have a cooker like yers...
    Did ya use th water pan? Might try futzin round, a bit, there...if set bark @ 145° is yer plan...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! Yup, some proteins jus don't wanna give it up, easy, like!
      Yer gonna be fine; it'll jus take some time.

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      FWIW, meat in my smoke vault tends to stall at a bit lower temp than I hear about for others. Often in the 145-155 F range. I always use the water pan. I usually get good bark, though.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, im probably just being impatient on the bark. I only recently got this as a dedicated smoker and everything seems to take longer than my trusty kettle.

Thinking of using this insulated bag from SRF as the cambro. Had to toss my coleman when i looked at it last week. Must have not cleaned it properly last year because it was gross. Never done this before but i figure the principle is the same.

Any of you guys tried this?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I've utilized insulated bags to transport food from place to place; never tried to see how very long they hold temps as a faux cambro...
      I'm interested in yer findins...

Hit 180...we are moving. This is either going to be awesome or a hockey puck.

Comment

• Pirate Scott
      Pirate Scott commented
      Editing a comment
      It will be awesome.

pulled it at 187, didnt even peek, wrapped in a towl and into the SRF bag. Reports and pics coming on both flavor, texture, and how the bag held temp.

Comment

Came out incredible. Def slicing and not shredding. Turns out the bag sucks as a cambro, lol
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks Great from here, Groovy Grant!
        Nice Job!

Finished sammy
      Attached Files

Comment

Alles gut!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          ¡Ja, bestimmt!

Great Job!
        See, ya done jus fine!
        I'd be proud to help ya eat them sammiches, brother!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 29, 2018, 07:06 PM. Reason: Grammer ;)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here