Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken fried steak on the Lodge Griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken fried steak on the Lodge Griddle

Inspired by the good discussion in these other threads about pork tenderloins and the Lodge griddle, I decided to do chicken fried steak with a Sonrise Ranch grassfed top sirloin and my trusty clarified chicken fat. I was running out of daylight and multitasking, but I did manage to get a few pics. It turned out pretty good. The only issue was I didn't get one of the pieces hammered to an even thinness, so it had a part of it that was more like an overcooked steak. But other than that was good, and for a first cook on the new Lodge griddle I'm very satisfied.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180415_192446.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	484625

Name:	IMG_20180415_193717.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	484623

Name:	IMG_20180415_193702.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	484624

Grew up on chicken fried most everything.

If I get another sirloin tip roast I want to sous vide that bad boy for a couple days, chill, slice, and then chicken fry those slices.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be awesome!!

Chicken fried baby, a Texas tradition! Nice work, love that lil cooker!!

Comment

Oh yeah...love me some chicken fried steak and eggs.

Comment

OK, I may have missed something here. Any chicken fried that I've had were deep fried. How was the final product compared to a deep fried steak?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
          OK, I may have missed something here. Any chicken fried that I've had were deep fried. How was the final product compared to a deep fried steak?
          It was pretty close to what deep fried would be, except deep frying gives that consistent all-over crispiness that's pretty hard to duplicate on a griddle.

I've had chicken fried steak deep fried, baked, and skillet/griddle fried before - they're each little different but still all recognizable as the same dish.

Comment

i've never had chicken fried anything...i should do something about that

Comment

Great cook! Anytime you can cook meal on some iron, is a good meal. I love chicken fried steak. Do you have a special recipe you would like to share with us?

Comment

Are we going to get into the "chicken fried steak" vs. "country fried steak" battle here?

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sure, let’s.

Those first two pics take me to a place I wanna be!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                  Great cook! Anytime you can cook meal on some iron, is a good meal. I love chicken fried steak. Do you have a special recipe you would like to share with us?
                  Wow, thanks for asking. This one's so simple even I can't mess it up.
                  • For the breading, I have to work around the fact that a family member is gluten intolerant (legit - not because it's trendy). My favorite is to toss some gluten free corn flakes in the blender and pulse them until there's a range of powder, crumbs and chips - stop before it gets to all powder. I add a little gluten free flour (from Bob's Red Mill) to that.
                  • Whip an egg or 2 in a flat dish. Sometimes I add a little sour cream, yogurt or buttermilk, but that's optional.
                  • Put the breading in another flat dish and add salt and pepper
                  • Hammer out a piece of meat with a meat tenderizer to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick.
                  • Dip the meat in egg and get it soaked, then lift it and let excess drip off. Dredge it in the breading - get it thoroughly covered. It should have so much breading on it that it feels dry to touch - not wet or sticky.
                  • Let it sit for a few minutes for the breading to settle in and adhere to the meat.
                  • Put some clarified chicken fat (or bacon grease or whatever) on a hot griddle.
                  • Fry the steak until it seems done - it's too thin to really check with a thermometer. There's nothing wrong with flipping multiple times to check it and make sure it's evenly done all over.
                  That's how I do it. Would love to get variations from others.

Edit: You can see I don't measure when cooking - sorry about that.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Awesome! Thanks!

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                  If you know where the Village Inn is just outside of Wyoming stop there and get their chicken fried steak skillet for breakfast. Then buy a banana cream and peanut butter pie on your way out the door to take with you. You can thank me later!

Comment

Here's an easy and great one to do on your new griddle: pork butt cutlets and peaches. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKKwh0tnl...4OQGHYdmp1juUA

Comment

Originally posted by EdF View Post
                      Here's an easy and great one to do on your new griddle: pork butt cutlets and peaches. https://www.evernote.com/l/AKKwh0tnl...4OQGHYdmp1juUA
                      Well, I sure never would’ve thought of that. Thanks. I’ll give it a shot when I can.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It could become a regular - it has here!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here