Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry aging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry aging?

Hello! I was wondering if you guys have any experience dry aging at home? I have a mini fridge I can use, and am interested in dry-aging some Prime picanhas to start with, some 45 days. I'm following Serious Eats' guide to dry-aging:

I plugged the fridge in yesterday, and left a thermometer probe inside, its hanging around 34f. But when I turn a small fan inside, the temp drops, to about 22f. Should I be worried this is too low, or is it "wind chill"?

Thanks!

Does your mini fridge have a freezer on top?

If so, it's probably pulling frozen air from the top.

You can turn the thermostat up, BUT be careful there isn't any condensation as that will fall on your meat and it will go bad.

IF this is the case, pull the meat out and put it in your regular fridge. Find your temp in the mini-fridge with the thermo. Then add the meat back in when there is no condensation and you have found a good temp for a couple hours.

Comment

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, it has a freezer on top. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the rest of it though.

I suggest you look into some Umai dry age bags. Should work well in any fridge that has a fairly constant temp between 34-36*F.

Umai Bags

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally!!! UMai rocks!

• gijsveltman
      gijsveltman commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman thanks, but I'm a little impatient and getting those down to El Salvador may take a couple weeks!! But' I'll order some to try later! Thanks!

Sorry, can't help. I did some dry aging and didn't care for the flavor so I stopped. Keep us posted.

Comment

gijsveltman The air is actually 22 degrees, too cold to properly dry age. You will need to raise it. Which is just a turn of the internal thermostat knob.

A lot of times mini-fridges with a freezer will have some ice build up, or condensation that has frozen on the underside of the freezer tray. Before raising the temperature in your mini-fridge, I would advise that you make sure there is no ice that could melt and drip onto your meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here