Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Top Sirloin Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Top Sirloin Help

Good Morning! I am looking for some advice on how to cut up a whole top sirloin. My wife sent me a note saying Fareway (one of our local grocery stores based out of Iowa) is having a one day sale on whole top sirloins for $3.99/lbs, 14-16 lbs average. Needless to say, the little hamsters are spinning the wheel in my head pretty fast this morning. Since I'm not very savvy when it comes to butchering, how would you cut this up? Now, can I talk my wife into buying 2?

I have in the past just cut them into roast the size you want and sv them

Comment

I would roast the whole thing in my oven until medium rare buy a couple cases of Labatt Blue and invite about a dozen or so friends over and make the best sandwich ever created.

The Beef on Weck.

Last edited by ssandy_561; April 11, 2018, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        Spent 4 years in upstate NY back in the 70s. Miss "beef on week" almost as much (or more) than easy access to fresh clams!!!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Don’t know what beef on weck was until now but that’s a mighty tasty looking sammich, sign me up!! I’ll nring the LaBatt’s Velvet Cream Porter !!!

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes!!! Love that sammich.

I bought a whole top sirloin myself the other week, 6 kilos (13 lbs). I just slice it in 2 inch thick slices, just like you would slice bread.

Comment

About 10 years ago my youngest son was living in Nipomo, Ca., which is about 10 miles north of Santa Maria. We would go down often to visit him and went to several large gatherings where they were grilling Tri-tips on the Santa Maria style grills. To feed large crowds they would not only grill Tri-tips, but what they called top block roasts. These were 2-1/2 to 3 inch cuts of top sirloin. Since you only get 2 Tri-tips per beef (1 on each side) and you could get 8 to 10 of the top sirloin roasts per beef, (4 to 5 on each side) they used this to feed large crowds.

Our local Costco used to stock prime grade whole top sirloins with their other whole primal cuts. Now they only have whole ones with the cap off and only rarely. Since they have top sirloin steaks with the cap on in the counter, I knew they had to have whole ones with the cap in the walk-in box. I would have them show me 2 or 3, so I could pick the one I liked best. The whole prime cap on top sirloin are the best value, in my opinion at Costco, in the under $4.00/lb. range. I would take these home and remove and trim up the cap. What you get is a piece that is shaped and weighs about the same as a tri-tip. I would then cut a couple of 2-1/2 to 3 inch thick pieces of the top sirloin for roasts and a couple of 1-1/2 pieces for steaks.

Comment

Ahh... someone else is struggling with how many of them to squirrel away... Need to research how to best break them down I'll work on that while I grill up some of their $0.79/# chicken leg quarters.... .
          Last edited by HorseDoctor; April 11, 2018, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I’m gonna get a couple. Cut the sirloin cap off for picanha and the rest into steaks and roasts. Good videos on YouTube.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta love that culotte!!!

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              It's a great cut of meat. Takes to grilling or low n slow.

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
            I’m gonna get a couple. Cut the sirloin cap off for picanha and the rest into steaks and roasts. Good videos on YouTube.
            That is pretty much the same conclusion I have come to as well HorseDoctor . The wifey is on board for 2, so I guess I will be busy on Saturday breaking these down while watching the snow fall...AGAIN! Ha!

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Love the avatar brother! I'm happy to see you about. It's a very beefy flavor.

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Doggone work has been getting in the way ever since the surgery last November...but I digress. Sirloin, I just love sirloin!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, nice avatar!

Diggin' the new pic!

Comment

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Wifey wanted a selfie at the Lynyrd Skynyrd concert late last summer.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Craigar you've inspired me to change for the better

• Craigar
              Craigar commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice Huskee ! I might have to play around with black & white pics.

I have a feeling this will be my last whole top sirloin for awhile. After I got done whittling and pruning on a 12 lbs 10 oz hunk, I ended up with 3 lbs 12 oz of fat and other unusable bits. Since I don't have grinder it all ended up in the trash...about $15 worth. Lesson learned...until the next time I am enticed by the $3.99/lbs for a limited time sale.

Comment

Craigar Hmm??? Sorry you weren't happy. Out of a 15.5 lb top sirloin butt, I ended up with a 2# package of ground sirloin (15% fat), about 1 1/2 lb rendered beef love and about 3/4 lb of silverskin/gristle which became "dog treats". Left about 1/4 lb fat on the pichana, the rest became steaks & sirloin fillets (ready for a bacon wrap). Compared to market ready cuts/prices, I'm quite content (and my favorite meat guy wasn't even there Friday to pick a "good one" for me)...

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
                Craigar Hmm??? Sorry you weren't happy. Out of a 15.5 lb top sirloin butt, I ended up with a 2# package of ground sirloin (15% fat), about 1 1/2 lb rendered beef love and about 3/4 lb of silverskin/gristle which became "dog treats". Left about 1/4 lb fat on the pichana, the rest became steaks & sirloin fillets (ready for a bacon wrap). Compared to market ready cuts/prices, I'm quite content (and my favorite meat guy wasn't even there Friday to pick a "good one" for me)...
                It's no big deal, since I was able to cut it up how I wanted it. The effective rate per pound ended up at around $5.67. Which for CAB isn't all that bad. I have the second one getting happy in the fridge. I want to go at least 14 days with wet aging before I start carving on it. I am anxious to see if there is much difference, taste and tenderness, between the two once I finish up on the aging process with the second loin.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here