Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impromptu Reverse Sear Vs Front Sear showdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impromptu Reverse Sear Vs Front Sear showdown

I got home from a week long trip last night and immediately went to cookin. Up for consumption: 2 choice ribeyes from Costco. They came from the same family pack (4 steaks in a pack) and had been frozen in my fridge since June 22. My wife had taken them out of the freezer earlier in the day and marinated them with Moore's marinade. While getting everything ready to start grilling I couldn't help but notice the steaks were no where near even in thickness. I pondered for a moment how I wanted to approach cooking them then had the bright idea I'd cook the thick one using the reverse sear method and the thin one using the traditional sear in the front method.

I used the Mak 2 Star General to low and slow cook the thick ribeye and the Hasty Bake to sear both of them. The thick ribeye came off the Mak at around 112F as measured by the Mak temp probe and my Thermapen. I seared both steaks on the HB, flipping every minute. I took them off at 125F.

My wife said she couldn't tell much difference except she thought the thicker one was a lot more tender because it was thicker. (facepalm) I explained the tenderness was actually as result of the cook, not the thickness of the steaks. They came from the same hunk of beef and I know from handling them they started off at a similar tenderness level. Pics! Myself, I definitely preferred the reverse seared steak. (Sorry about the pic quality. They aren't my best)

Steaks side by side (sorry for the focus issues) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4507.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	4765

Reverse Seared Steak Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4508.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	4766

Front Seared Steak Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4510.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	4767

I've become a huge fan of the reverse sear for bigger steaks and roasts. I have done cowboy steaks and NY Strip roasts using this and they are absolutely the best steaks that I have done. I have learned a lot here.

Comment

Originally posted by Zman23 View Post
      I've become a huge fan of the reverse sear for bigger steaks and roasts. I have done cowboy steaks and NY Strip roasts using this and they are absolutely the best steaks that I have done. I have learned a lot here.

That's what we like to hear Zman

Comment

They both look awesome. Good sear color and nice pink center.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here