Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New recipe for y'all to try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New recipe for y'all to try

Here's a different part of the cow that are excellent on the pit. Sweetbreads (Thymus glands). Soak in apple vinegar and lemon juice for an hour, remove excess fat then I use Meathead's Memphis pork rub. Smoke 2-3 hours @250-300f, then slice and serve. You can serve with lemon slices. Teriyaki sauce or slice and sear in herb butter until crispy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180311-WA0098.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	474278Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20180311-WA0083.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	474279

On my to-try list. Kinda sorta looks like pork tenderloin. Will have to get past the "gland" moniker. Like Andrew Zimmern says....

Comment

My parents love sweetbreads. They also love tripe and chicken livers. Me, not so much.

Comment

Oh sure, so the guy with the biggest honkin stick burner doesn’t do one to show us but 5 or 6.
        Looks very good.

Comment

Something Americans used to eat but has left the popular taste here. I'm not sure I'd even know where to buy a sweetbread. Having the butcher order it would be the way to go.

Comment

Interesting you specifically call out thymus sweetbreads. There are actually a number of organ meats and glands from various animals called "sweetbreads". My grandparents loved tongue, for instance, which is considered a sweetbread as well as heart. Of course the ubiquitous testicles are often referred to as sweetbreads. Some, if braised right, can be pretty tasty. Never had any grilled or smoked, might be quite good !!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              In my travels, sweetbreads have always referred to either thymus or brain. Heart is always heart and tongue has always been tongue.

But I haven’t been everywhere.

Hmm, I'm always learning something here. Until this very minute I've always thought that sweetbread was something like toasted and buttered bread with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on it. Never thought that a sweetbread could be made from an animals heart, tongue or nuts. Guess I'll have to ask the local bakery what part of the animal they use in their sweetbreads.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

For me it means that gland you get from calves. Since it kinda disappears when they get older. I cooked it a year ago, but not a big fan. Fun to try new stuff though.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here