Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket/Navel Alternatives For Corned Beef/Pastrami?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket/Navel Alternatives For Corned Beef/Pastrami?

I've got a nice little chuckie awaiting it's fate as I ponder what to do with it... Anyone every corned or pastrami'd one? Too fat? What about other cuts?

I never have. But I don't think "too fat" would be an issue. Here's a nice pulled beef recipe, if you don't mind putting the extra work in. Always comes out great. I can see it with some good Bourbon!

Choice of rubs is up to you, but the Dizzy Pig rub recommended is good.

Comment

• BourBonQ
      BourBonQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely putting that one in the recipe collection EdF . Thanks!

I made pastrami with a chuck roast once years ago. It tasted like pastrami should, but because of the finer grain of the meat and the way grocery store chuck roasts are cut (it's next to impossible to carve it "across the grain"), the mouth feel is very different from brisket pastrami cut across the grain. The word "once" in my first sentence is operative. I agree with EdF - pulled beef is my go-to fate for chuck roasts.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Why not pulled pastrami?

Make pastrami. That would be my vote!

Comment

Pulled pastrami?

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya beat me to it.

• johnec00
        johnec00 commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB - I've pulled brisket pastrami that came out a bit too dry. Made excellent "Pastrami Beef" hash! Will probably work well with chuck pastrami too.

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the way y'all are thinking!

Another thought for the fate of the chuck, "corn" (cure) it, then grind then: Clint Cantwell's Corned Beef Reuben or maybe even pastrami reuben.

Comment

• BourBonQ
        BourBonQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting thought!

• PappyBBQ
        PappyBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I've ground corned beef brisket and I like the ground corned chuck idea! Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the meat market I go!

Crap, now you got me regretting not picking up that Angus chuck last night. Hmmmmmmm
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Go for it! May stumble upon something great. I made pastrami bacon before and it was delicious. I think some of the pastrami sold at deli counters are made with a London broil type cut (not to that I’m advocating it).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here