Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Pastrami

I started with a snake river farm corned beef, from there I have followed Meatheads close to Kaz recipe. I'm going to smoke it today.

I have some questions about how to do it.

I plan to smoke to 150 or 170.. any reason to choose one over the other?

Then was planning 195 sous vide for 4 hours.

Does that sound reasonable?

Why does advantage this sous vide finish provide as opposed to just smoking til 203 or probe tender?

Sous vide will keep the moisture in and make it nice and tender. When I make my pastrami I smoke it past the stall to 170ish then sous vide.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to hear from you again!

I strongly suggest you follow this recipe by Clint Cantwell on the free side of the site;

Pastrami is the ultimate expression of beef brisket, and it is at its best if you start with sous vide. To begin, prepared corned beef is rendered moist and tender thanks to a low and slow sous vide water bath. The meat is then smoked on the grill, creating mouthwatering sliced pastrami for sandwiches and more.

I'm corning a flat as we speak and will being doing this recipe myself this weekend. Good luck !!

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a variation on that method I like a lot (in that thread) involving a double smoke and never going over 135F. Call it QVQ. Using it on my homemade pastrami now.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea Polarbear777 that's what I intend to do with mine this week end. I always pre-smoke my sous vide cooks then post smoke if and when necessary to reset bark and re-heat. I just wanted the poster to know a good alternative to what he stated above.

I've seen that sous vide Q recipe I just can't wrap my head around the fact that the brisket never gets above 150F.

I'm smoking till 170F then finish with sous vide at 195 for 4 hours.
    Last edited by ImmersionFD; March 20, 2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      It's about time and temperature. Again I suggest reading either Chef Steps or Sous Vide Resources for additional information. 150* is all you need to cook to tenderness, but its over a long period of time, like 36 hours. I've done rare ones to 130* over 48 hours. Time and temperature cooks meat.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd love to hear your results. What I think you will find is you will loose your bark if you don't smoke afterward to re-set it. Again tell us how it turned out with pix. I'd be interested. Always new ways to skin the cat.

You can smoke all the way to probe tender, if you want. Smoking to 150 F will only give you smoke and not much bark. I think you need to cook it longer to build up the bark. If you are going to Sous vide the pastrami, after smoking, I would take it up too 185-190. This will give you ample bark. Plus, you will need a more robust bark for the Sous vide step, which can be hard on the bark. Do not cook sous vide in ziplocks over 190 F. Additionally, I found that 195 F makes the product a too crumbly . I prefer 185 F-190 F X 4, after testing a few different settings

What is the advantage of Sous Vide over smoking all the way? IMHO, not much. However, I would rather finish it sous vide, as opposed to steaming it. I just cooked two points into pastrami last weekend, neither one was Sous Vide at the end. I took it all the up to probe tender. And skipped the step altogether.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker, I'm Just About To Run to The Store to Pick Up Another Prepped Corned Beef to Turn Into Pastrami and You Fellers are Still
      Kabitzing Over Technigues❓ Why Now Just When I Just Started to
      Believe in This Site❓ I Was Going Make Part of The 4 # Corned Beef
      I Did For St. Paddy's, But Eunice Nearly Ate It All❓ Woe Is Me‼️ Dan

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Main advantage of a low temp SV is that it never gets above 135 internal so the muscle fibers retain their moisture, while the long time in the drink makes it just as tender as when smoked to 200+. Makes a bigger difference on flats since those can dry out easier. The point side is always good either way.

No matter how much corned beef/pastrami you get/make it never lasts. :-)

Comment

I have a brisket in a brine right now, planning to smoke it the day before Easter. My thoughts were to smoke to 160 then wrap and leave in the fridge. Then on Easter was going to steam in an instapot to serve. Was thinking about 45 minutes. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoke to bark, like 180 F-190 F. Then shock and reheat the day of. Never used a IP so I cannot comment on that.

• jstjohn83
        jstjohn83 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome thanks!

I will add that regardless of how you cook it to tenderness, a fat flash just before slicing and serving is always a good decision.

Comment

I agree with everyone who says cook it to higher temp in order to achieve a good bark. I just smoked a pastrami on my Traeger Pro 22 at 250 degrees last weekend and was thinking about a Sous Vide finish. However, it looked so good, I decided to wrap in butcher paper at 175, then cooked until probe tender which happened to be 197 degrees. I held in a towel wrap for an hour+ before slicing. Delicious! I've got a Sous Vide, but I'm not in love with it ...maybe some day.

Comment

Consider me among those that don’t understand the purpose of cooking it sous vide at 195. If you are going to cook at that temp, just steam it.

If you want to do part sous vide, cook it around 150-165 over night. That is how I do normal brisket. Smoke, SV at 155 for 24ish hours and then smoke again.

Comment

I did one all the way to 203 (like MH did on his video) on my Pit Barrel Cooker and it was fabulous! My wife raved about the flavor and especially the great bark. She said it made the best Rueben sammich ever!

Comment

• PappyBBQ
              PappyBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly how I did my last one. Bark was outstanding.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here