Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final Brisket Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Brisket Weight

I realize that some of my question is answered by how much trimming is needed, but on the average, what percentage of the original weight of a brisket do you usually end up with as final product?

Brisket I did recently was 16.5# prime from Costco, and just to know how much I trimmed, I tossed all the fat cap I trimmed off in a bowl and weight it - right at 2# trim, dropping me to 14.5. A lot of liquid comes out during cooking, especially when you wrap it (I wrapped around 150). I probably had 4 cups of liquid that I caught in a pan when I unwrapped the brisket. 4 cups of water would be right at 2 pounds. I didn't measure run off into the grease bucket under the smoker before wrapping, but doubt a lot was lost before the meat reached 150.

So.... 14.5 before cooking, and lost over 2 pounds liquid during the cook. If we call it 3 pounds of loss just to be pessimistic, that puts us at 80% of the precooked weight (20% loss).

Does that sound about right?

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like a lot higher yield than I tend to get, which would be around 60% after trimming.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, as I mentioned, I may have lost more liquid on the smoker where I couldn’t measure it. The 4 cups is about what I recal getting from the crutched brisket in the foil.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Also I left all the fat between the point and flat, and am not factoring that into the yield...

I typically lose 20-30% after trimming. In perspective that's a 14lber being trimmed down to 10lbs on the smoker, ~ 4lbs fat. However, even though I leave ~1/4 fat cap on, I will trim most of the fat between the point & flat, nearly separating them but stopping just short. I liek to square up the edges too. I have never weighed a cooked brisket to see how much weight is lost in cooking, but those numbers would likely be shocking too.

Comment

40-42% yield if I remove that big deckle of fat. 43-44% if I leave that deckle fat and just merely score it to aid in rendering.

Wolly world Choice and some Select.

Comment

I hate to think about it too much because it makes me sad. For me, it's about 50%, give or take. I'm pretty aggressive with trimming, and almost always separate point from flat and remove that fat in between. It took awhile for me to start thinking that way, but I would rather trim thin meat and hard fat during prep than to have to cut it off later and lose precious bark.

Comment

But you should always saved the trimmed fat and mix it into burgers or render it and fry with it.

Comment

• PappyBBQ
            PappyBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree. Render it, freeze it into cubes and then use it later to brush on steaks, burgers - any beef you're going to sear.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup. Heck yup!!

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, love me some beef love.

jfmorris Sounds about right for how I do it. But then, I like bacon too, and think that properly cooked fat is the main reason to cook a brisket! If I wanted lean, I would cook a steamship round... My penchant for deer hunting easily satisfies my taste for lean meats. When I wants a brisket, I wants a slice of "juicy" !!!

Comment

25%/35%

Comment

No dog in in this race. Should be about 50% to 55% however I believe jerods likely look gorgeous.

Comment

I have never really checked before. Maybe I should. But about 60% sounds about right.

Comment

I may lose about 30% of the weight but I receive 110% pleasure when I consume the results!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here