Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Roasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Roasts

My brother-in-law gave me a bunch of beef. Most of the steaks and ground meat are gone all ready, but I have 2 arm roasts and a chuck roast left. I’ve never cooked one on the grill, or anywhere for that matter. What are some good ways to cook these?

Here’s what to do with the chuck roast.
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...k-roast-recipe

Makes dang good Philly steak subs with sauté bell peppers and onions and top it off with Provolone cheese.
    Last edited by DWCowles; March 11, 2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually get fresh made hoagie buns at Sam’s club. The bell peppers, onions and mushrooms I just sauté with a little olive oil and butter. After I applied the meat to the bun I put the cheese on it and put it the broiler to melt the cheese and toast the bun a little.

• Blackshirt BBQ
      Blackshirt BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried provolone sauce??

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      No, just the cheese.

What DWCowles said!!! Can't go wrong there!

Comment

My last chuck roast I smoked for 2 hours at 225 the put in a pan with a bunch of onions and peppers and some beef broth then covered the pan with foil. Cooked until IT was 195 so I could slice it. One of the better ones I’ve done actually.
      As far as the arm roast goes, I’ve never cooked one but would think hot and fast and slice thin but others on here will know way more than me in that one.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd treat it just like chuck roast.

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        So you would do a low and slow. I know the arm and chuck are on the same primal cut but for some reason I thought it was a lot more lean than the chuck.
        See us old dogs can learn new tricks...thanks Ed

Ok. The roast is done. I put it in the cambro, and the temp has fallen to 185. We’re not eating for another 4 hours. Should I pull it now and bag it, or what??

Comment

I'd let it ride in the cooler and monitor the temp. Once it hits 145 you basically have two hours before you enter the food safety zone limit at that temp. I'm assuming you foiled it prior to putting in cambro, so if the temp drops too quickly stick it in the oven on the lowest setting you have. You can also cycle the oven on and off to keep the oven temp lower than the actual dial setting.

Comment

• Blackshirt BBQ
          Blackshirt BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I didn’t know if I should shred it now and then keep it up to temp, or shred it later.

• PappyBBQ
          PappyBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Great tip. A while ago I discovered my oven (viking) has a "hold" setting of 170. But I also have a warming drawer that I use a lot.

it's easier to shred after the hold.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here