Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probe tender flat versus point.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probe tender flat versus point.

Dumb question with most likely a very obvious answer.

Ive been drying out my flat lately when I cook brisket. When you're checking for doneness (around 195 is when I start checking, should maybe start sooner...) should the flat feel exactly like the point? It seems like there's definitely a difference between the two when it's done. Today I pulled a brisket when the flat still had some resistance and came out great after it rested. Usually, The point feels absolutely like hot knife through butter and even though the flat still goes in easily I always seem to put a little more effort effort in when I stick the probe...then I keep cooking until I just get too hungry and the flat is dried out. By then I usually take it off at 203 or above when this happens. May be useful information that I usually cook whole packer Prime grade briskets from Costco because they're the only place I can get a whole packer without paying an arm and a leg.

Thanks guys.

I also cook Costco Briskets. There is a difference in feel. The flat will feel a little but firmer, but the probe will still slide in pretty easy. There is just not as much fat in the flat as there is in the point, so the probe will always slide in easier to the point.
    Honestly, this is where practice and experience outweighs anything else. the more you do it, the more you can dial it in. Which is what it seems like you are doing.

Comment

Are you wrapping or just going the whole way unwrapped???

On a Prime I definitely watch the tenderness in the thickest part of the flat. My biggest fear with Prime is overcooking.

Conversely cooking wolly world Choice and Select my biggest worry is UNDERCOOKING, so while I do check for tenderness in those, more times than not it is just a matter of getting to 203-205 internal and then a long warm rest.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here