Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Bowl Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Bowl Brisket

So I look at the forecast for Saturday night into Super Bowl Sunday. 7 below zero and 5" of snow. I decide I am not going to start my cook at 2:00AM and be outside firing my big smoker all night. The alarm goes off at 4:30AM. I take a look out the back door......

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	451369

I shovel a path to the garage, pull out my PBC and fire it up. A few chunks of oak and I hang my 15# prime brisket. Yellow mustard and Pit Barrel Beef and Game rub.

Name:	IMG_1548.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	451370

Got the temp up to about 155 and PBC said "no more - too cold". I pulled it, wrapped it, and put it in the oven for a couple of hours until it hit 200. Dropped it in the cooler for about 2 and half hours. I was worried that I may have a ruined a prime brisket. I usually do brisket on my big smoker and use all oak (Aaron Franklin style), and they turn out great. When our guests arrived I sliced and served. I couldn't tell the difference and everyone said it was some of the most tender, delicious brisket they've ever had. Sorry no after picks but my three boys, all in their 20's, my brother-in-law, and father-in-law, absolutely destroyed it. I think I had about 1 pound scraps left over. Like FireMan I'm in northern Wisconsin. You have to be a bit crazy to BBQ up here this time of year. The PBC definitely makes that possible.
    Attached Files

You da man.

Comment

Kudos for just pulling it off !!! Our family had a cabin in Minong near the Minnesota border at Duluth/Superior so I know how brutal it can get up there. I remember fishing on Lake Superior in the middle of August and it would get down into the 30s at night. Heck here in Texas there are whole years that go by when it does get down into the low 30s, different world.

Anyway great job, sure your family loved having bbq in the middle of a blizzard !!!

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
        Frozen Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm fairly close to Minong. Just south of Duluth a few miles. Next time you get up this way give me a heads up I will do up some Q' for you northern Minnesota style!

it looks cccccccold! there

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
        Bob's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        This winter has been awful. I don't remember having this many below zero days in my life.

That looks a lot like Sweden! Good job smokin that brisket!

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope, it's only Sconi.

• Bob's BBQ
        Bob's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Henrik - Nice thing about the PBC, I didn't need to stand outside to much.

I cook with my PBC all year round. I have found that a welding blanket works very well for insulating the PBC in cold weather. Give it a try sometime and I think you will be surprised with the results.

Great cook, it sounds like everything worked out well!

Name:	IMG_3788.PNG
Views:	111
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	451480

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
        Bob's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea - I'll have to give it a try.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        X2 on the welding blanket!!! Inexpensive too, on Amazon or if you have a Northern Tool close by. I use one on my modified COS about 6-8 months out of the year!

Wow it's pretty much impossible for anyone to give an excuse to not BBQ because of the weather after seeing you pull that off!

Comment

You mastered and prevailed under duress in inclement weather, great job Sir!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here