Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when you have four meals' worth of steak, and just yourself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do when you have four meals' worth of steak, and just yourself?

Usually, I make steak as a follow-on to an afternoon of barbecuing ribs. The last batch of charcoal finishes the ribs through caremalizing sauce on part of them. Then, I put several hunks of steak on the offset side and add wood chips until the meat temp comes up to 110; then each piece gets reverse seared to Medium Rare.

Fine. Now, what if my grocery store has a Manager's Special (ie., meat that has to be sold in the next two days) and I don't have anyone to feed it to this time? (I just finished my last batch of ribs; it's too soon to do it again. Yes, I really just said that.)

One way to do it would be to fix all of the steak--1.25 lb. Porterhouse, .75 pound ribeye, each about an inch thick--in the oven to 110, then reverse sear in the broiler. The problem is, I'm only going to eat 1/4 of this at a time. So what--for three more days I nuke each of the other portions? My solution (because I'm always up for a taste test) was to cut them each into quarters (separating the meat from the Porterhouse bone) and broiling 1/4 of each to 110, then on the other side to 130 and coasting to the finish. Perfectly fine result--some of the Porterhouse tasted like liver--and I'll do that again for 3 more meals because four broils help when the temps are below freezing here in central Illinois.

I'm not looking for a solution here. I'm fine with my Dad's favorite saying--if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm just wondering how other folks have dealt with meat they were going to eat over several days.

Welcome to The Pit. I buy steaks at Costco - normally 4 to a pack. There are just two of us, so I freeze two and cook two.

Comment

Welcome mwright

Comment

I didn’t read the whole post cause I’m lazy. But from your title. I would just make it a one meal cook. But than again I’m a pig. Hehe

Comment

Welcome from Colorado! Have fun with the extra steaks ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post
            Have fun ...
            That should be my motto--thanks!!

Comment

Vacuum sealers were invented for just this type of situation, I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Welcome from Indiana

Comment

WELCOME: mwright

I see you problem with the steaks. I don't know what Id do. Folks here will have lots of ideas.

Please let us know what you decide. We love pics as well. Got a pics of the steak.

Comment

No dogs? Every man's best friend deserves a nice steak here and there.

Comment

Cut into single serving portions and freeze what you're not going to eat today. As Steve R. noted vacuum sealers are an awesome tool for this. At least wrap tightly with cellophane wrap to minimize air contact while frozen. Steak is easy, don't make hard work out of it. Enjoy!

Comment

I like to say drink heavily and forget, butiI think I'll have to say eat heavily and forget!!!

Comment

but I... you get what I'm saying

Comment

Sounds like you worked out a good solution, mwright . There's nothing wrong with feasting on steak 4 days in a row. In fact it makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Welcome to The Pit.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here