Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple, Hickory or Mesquite...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple, Hickory or Mesquite...

Prepping the egg before I start the brisket, I have apple, hickory and mesquite wood chunks. Was thinking of the apple for my 15 lb brisket but was wondering what you all thought. What is your preference for the smoke if you had to choose between these three? I be using meatheads big bad beef rub for the brisket and smoking at 225°.

Thanks to everyone for their input and great ideas. GO EAGLES!

Hickory for brisket. Make sure to put the wood directly on the hot fire, right before you add the meat. This will give you much cleaner smoke. Good Luck!

Comment

Apple, peaches, pumpkin pie......... cough. sorry hickory.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Jay and the Techniques

I have never try mesquite wood but I would definitely go with Hickory on brisket. I like to used apple with pork.

Comment

Hickory has always worked great. That’s what I’d choose. I use apple sometimes for pork ribs.

Comment

Well done folks! Hickory it is. Thanks!

GO EAGLES!

Comment

It has begun...the egg is heating and the brisket is dry rubbed. Wish me luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0731.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	449524

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	449525

Comment

I used to use all apple on everything 'cuz that's what I had a lot of. Brisket is still great with apple. But if I had those three in front of me I'd either do all hickory, hickory+apple, or 75% apple and 25% mesquite.

Comment

That’s a beautiful looking brisket. And it hasn’t even been cooked yet.

Also as everyone said definitely hickory. The mesquite will impart a very strong almost burnt flavor. At least that has been my experience with using mesquite. And Apple by itself would be too mild.

Comment

I would use hickory.I was under the impression mesquite is more of a grilling,rather than smoking wood.

Comment

Mesquite is strong, but it is great for a pellet grill where getting a good smoke flavor can be difficult. I use a mesquite/oak blend for brisket on my pellet grill.

Comment

• Skip
                      Skip commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree with you bten. I usually cook brisket on my pellet grill so that's the one time I use Lumberjack's Mesquite Blend pellets. (40% Mesquite & 60% Red Oak)

Hickory has an awesome flavor but it is a bold flavor and it too can be overdone! Make sure you are getting nice "clean smoke" asSpinaker mentioned and I would limit wood chunks to the first few hours.

Comment

I am lucky to have lots of shag bark hickory, old apple and black cherry trees. When I do brisket, I always start with hickory. A few hours. I usually add some chicken about 1/2 through the smoke. I then switch over to apple and cherry. Brisket doesn't seem to mind - and all come out delicious!

Comment

Hickory would be my choice.

Comment

Either Hickory or Mesquite would work well on beef. If I had tho buy the wood I would choose oak.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here